Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know, I picked this Astra up a few weeks ago, while I decide what to do with the RS6 (dead gearbox). So far, I bloody love it. Makes me smile every time I see it and every time me or the wife go out in it. I bought it locally, in lovely lovely condition, from a chap who owns a couple of motorhome dealerships,.......well it was technically his son's (who recently moved to Australia), but the dad drove it around, when not using his own 1966 E-Type.

Flame Red.
87K miles.
Full service history.
Cruise Control option.
Rear Parking Sensors option.
CD70 Nav option.
19" wheels option.
Full-size spare option.
New turbo fitted by Courtenay Sport at 80K miles.
New Pirelli P Zeros on the front.
Recent service.
Long MOT.

Airtec front mount intercooler with black hard-pipes and red silicone.
Turbosmart recirculation valve.
Crossover delete.
Forge induction kit and red silicone induction pipe.
Forge breather pipe and filter.
Milltek decat 2.5" exhaust.
Courtenay Sport Stage 3 Map (290 bhp/320 lb ft).

It also came with a new front splitter, still in the wrapper, and new/boxed turbo boost gauge and temperature gauge. Spare front pads also, and the original intercooler, crossover and another Milltek backbox.

Being a 'pre-facelift', I have no keyless entry and start button to go wrong.

Of course I had to remove the tacky plastic Heko 'wind deflectors'. Visibility is much better now and the car looks much less chavvy.

My plans are to keep it looking stock, though I may fit the new front splitter for the odd local car meet. I might remove the rear 'Astra' and 'VXR' badges and fit a 1.4 badge, in a nod to my old Astra GTE Turbo. Think I'll fit the Piano Black centre console/gear surround etc, and maybe even get a custom centre three-gauge centre panel with boost, water temp and oil temp.

A Whiteline rear anti-roll bar will be added as soon as the lockdown is finished (to cure that understeer which Clarkson moaned about), and possibly a Wavetrac LSD at some point,.......though the torque-steer is surprisingly minimal as it is.

The oil cooler pipes failed the day after I bought the car, so I sourced some upgraded pipes from RnD Motorsport in York. These are much better and only £98 posted,.....as opposed to the crappy Vauxhall ones at £300 plus postage! Despite the oil being only a few hundred miles old, I had new oil again 3 weeks ago.

I went to view more powerful/more modded/newer VXRs before buying this one, but they didn't feel any faster, especially in the damp. First and second gears were almost pointless, and the extra bhp didn't make the cars feel as usable. I feel that mine is really usable at 290 bhp,.....though I may go for an EDS inlet manifold and a K06 turbo at some point, to nudge up to a relatively usable 320 bhp.

I haven't cleaned it yet. All cars will get a clean this week.

·
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great car. Even Sat Nav. Stupid that they didn't have a water temp gauge.
Post pics once the gauges are in.
Hope your M32 gearbox holds up.
Cheers, it seems to be a well-specced one :)

Indeed, the lack of gauges is utterly bizarre.

Looking around the net, the M32 seems pretty reasonable to refurb or replace. Good excuse to pop a diff in too ;)

·
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Janet Nice looking car, lovely colour & I'm sure it'll be well looked after(y)
40+ cars, and I've never owned a red one :)

This is reeeeeally really vibrant, and seems to glow back at me when I open the curtains in the morning haha. Flame Red apparently. From 2007 onwards they went to Power Red,..a slight shade darker.

·
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reassuring to know Courtenay Sport have breathed on the Astra , they know their stuff.
Aye, another reason I went for this particular one. I started buying stuff from Jon and Mark there over 20 years ago. First visited their site in Norfolk in 1999.

The only other tuned VXRs I'd touch would be from RnD Motorsport or Rabbid.

·
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, cheaper than an Audi gearbox rebuild.

It's a car I missed out on back in the day, on the way to the M5 and stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
40+ cars, and I've never owned a red one :)

This is reeeeeally really vibrant, and seems to glow back at me when I open the curtains in the morning haha. Flame Red apparently. From 2007 onwards they went to Power Red,..a slight shade darker.
My Astra is my first red car too, my fav colour for a car. You'll find the paint is a lot better than the new Astra's now. As they seem to have very soft paint, easily chipped, as I know from my Astra K days, compared to my current J. I could recommend some very easy to apply paint protection product. Takes around 10 mins to apply, lasts for around 6 weeks. Cost's less than a tenner a bottle, that should do for around 8-10 applications. Think I paid less than £8 per bottle, when eurocarparts had a better offer than usual on it. Think Asda sell it at around £10 a bottle now. Anyway it's called "Carplan no1 gloss", although yours is gleaming anyway.
You'll probably have the hidden menu option if you want to access your coolant temp anyway. I got used to not having a temp gauge with my previous Astra H owning days after a few months. Neither did I ever have any issues with it

·
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll probably have the hidden menu option if you want to access your coolant temp anyway. I got used to not having a temp gauge with my previous Astra H owning days after a few months. Neither did I ever have any issues with it
This is what I'll be going for.

There's a chap on the VXR page who hand makes/converts/paints the panel, and you add your own gauges :)

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
My Astra is my first red car too, my fav colour for a car. You'll find the paint is a lot better than the new Astra's now. As they seem to have very soft paint, easily chipped, as I know from my Astra K days, compared to my current J. I could recommend some very easy to apply paint protection product. Takes around 10 mins to apply, lasts for around 6 weeks. Cost's less than a tenner a bottle, that should do for around 8-10 applications. Think I paid less than £8 per bottle, when eurocarparts had a better offer than usual on it. Think Asda sell it at around £10 a bottle now. Anyway it's called "Carplan no1 gloss", although yours is gleaming anyway.
Modern paint I’m afraid , usually the cars body is dipped in anti corrosion paint then 2 coats of primer , the top coat is applied but to get the shine & protect the top coat a lacquer is applied on top.
Looking after the clear coat is key , many cars not looked after suffer from the lacquer peeling off.
My late paint sprayer used to re apply the clear coat on many cars he was called to smarten up.
He showed how flat modern base coat colour actually really is without the clear coat , i was shocked.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
This is what I'll be going for.

There's a chap on the VXR page who hand makes/converts/paints the panel, and you add your own gauges :)

Nice, I prefer gloss black than silver too.
Modern paint I’m afraid , usually the cars body is dipped in anti corrosion paint then 2 coats of primer , the top coat is applied but to get the shine & protect the top coat a lacquer is applied on top.
Looking after the clear coat is key , many cars not looked after suffer from the lacquer peeling off.
My late paint sprayer used to re apply the clear coat on many cars he was called to smarten up.
He showed how flat modern base coat colour actually really is without the clear coat , i was shocked.
The paintwork on the K in my experience is no where near as sturdy, compared to my current J or H's I've owned in the past. I had a stone chip on the front bonnet area of my previous K, the paint was very easy to peel away from it and felt soft. The car was 2.5 years old at the time. Paint generally was easier to scratch too. This was on a light silver car, silver usually being one of the most practical colours.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The piano black and burg carbon dash trim makes a big difference in got it in my Sri and van
Being an early 1, most of the wiring looms for any other add ins should be there as well, ie, TPMS, powerfold mirrors, think Big Dov on the AON has his sitting about 320 bhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
28,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The piano black and burg carbon dash trim makes a big difference in got it in my Sri and van
Being an early 1, most of the wiring looms for any other add ins should be there as well, ie, TPMS, powerfold mirrors
Yes I quite like the carbon bits on my interior. Pleasantly surprised how well the interior fit/finish/build quality is over all TBH. Even has stitched leather in the door panels,........pretty sure we didn't have that on our 2005 SRi Sporthatch. I'll start accumulating the piano black centre sections soon, though swapping to a black NAV70 might be a headache.

Glad it doesn't have stuff like Keyless Go etc to go wrong, so I won't be pursuing folding mirrors and stuff. I like to keep things simple. Don't even know what TPMS is :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
13,004 Posts
Yes I quite like the carbon bits on my interior. Pleasantly surprised how well the interior fit/finish/build quality is over all TBH. Even has stitched leather in the door panels,........pretty sure we didn't have that on our 2005 SRi Sporthatch. I'll start accumulating the piano black centre sections soon, though swapping to a black NAV70 might be a headache.

Glad it doesn't have stuff like Keyless Go etc to go wrong, so I won't be pursuing folding mirrors and stuff. I like to keep things simple. Don't even know what TPMS is :LOL:
Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts