Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. Please forgive me if this has already been suggested but ive found a solution to the awful cloudy headlight issue that plagues plastic headlamps everywhere.......using Autosol....thats right the metal polish. Apply liberaly and literally polish in circles till the paste disolves....the tarnish is gone. A good freind of mine suggested it and it works so well. Pics to follow

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I think you will find that all of the, successful, ways of clearing cloudy headlight lenses use a mild abrasive even the toothpaste one because toothpaste contains a very fine abrasive compound. the problem is not what to use but how to conjure up the patience to sit there stinking of Brasso, T cut or some other metal polish whilst polishing out the minute scratches that cause plastic to go cloudy. I eventually had limited success using T Cut and a polishing mop machine. The most success I had was when I sold the car with cloudy headlight lenses and bought another. It was a Vauxhall but, in the highly unlikely event that I keep my Zafira long enough for the lenses to go cloudy, I think the next time it happens I will just replace the lights or thecar again.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was dubious at first but it really takes very little effort with autosol. That stuff is amazing. I thought my lights were beyond repair

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think there's a uv resistant layer that is removed when you do this and I have got some clear film from EBay that is supposed to protect paintwork and lights from uv. I haven't used it yet

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try this item on eBay. 142046231241

Its called jewellers rouge.
It's a powder that you mix with water to a paste. It's used to Polish jewellery and glass.
It worked perfect for me.
You only need a small amount as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you will find that all of the, successful, ways of clearing cloudy headlight lenses use a mild abrasive even the toothpaste one because toothpaste contains a very fine abrasive compound. the problem is not what to use but how to conjure up the patience to sit there stinking of Brasso, T cut or some other metal polish whilst polishing out the minute scratches that cause plastic to go cloudy. I eventually had limited success using T Cut and a polishing mop machine. The most success I had was when I sold the car with cloudy headlight lenses and bought another. It was a Vauxhall but, in the highly unlikely event that I keep my Zafira long enough for the lenses to go cloudy, I think the next time it happens I will just replace the lights or thecar again.
Hi Pete, I've been trying for some time to solve this problem. I thought I'd try some scratch remover which I already had in the garage, this worked perfectly. The N/S headlamp was much worse the the O/S one. The brand I used was Fare'cla, G3pro. Just requires a bit of elbow grease. View attachment 92872
20200629_153209.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts