Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
What, garages? Would need to drive the car to them lol so not sure how the train would be beneficial

Unless your judging bout my choice of place to get the new battery from lol, in which case I say, train there's n back with a battery and cheapo socket set would've been a massive ball ache, assuming the train was even there once I got to the station, even biggar ball ache if it wasn't due for another's 40 mins

But if your dedicated to saving money where ever possible then sure, your idea saves a fortune, just a massive inconvenience lol
Your choice, you made out that your only choice was a dealer, and I was pointing out you have other choices if you don't want dealer prices.

Just stick it back in for another £1000 of repair work and save you more inconvenience of having to open to bonnet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Your choice, you made out that your only choice was a dealer, and I was pointing out you have other choices if you don't want dealer prices.

Just stick it back in for another £1000 of repair work and save you more inconvenience of having to open to bonnet.
lol, if dealer were to charge £1,000 for rest of the work that means i'd pay £750 because of the 25% service club discount :p

also dealer was 1 mile up the road, kilmarnock is 16 mile away and at 4.15 i doubt i would've made any shops in killie on time, train takes 20 minutes (assuming its waiting at the station) bus takes a good 40 minutes, only other real option would've been driving the car to killie, which i personally didn't really fancy with a dodgy battery, if the car were to stall on say a roundabout or at traffic lights it wouldn't start again and that could end up being dangerous, so in that situation dealer was the way to go really

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
With the wiring faults have you checked all fuses and for obvious breaks in wires plus bulbs etc buy a cheap multimeter you might get lucky and be a easy fix
checked the fuses, they're all good, replaced the bulbs, still nothing, haven't checked the cables for breaks yet, been trying to figure out where the passenger curtain airbag loom would be, looked up some wiring diagrams on TIS which offers no clues on its location unfortunately - tomorrow i'll probably check the passenger side airbag cable and clean the connectors if i don't find any breaks and see if that helps, since that is easy to get to lol

the headlight stuff i'll leave until i get a replacement headlamp for the driver side, that way i only need to pull the bumper once to sort that all out

ordered a o2 sensor from eurocarparts today, should get that next week - decent sale they got on just now tbh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Everyone seems to have focused on the extortionate price he paid for battery anyone know what the squib fault might be on is airbags?
yeah didn't think a battery could cause so much drama tbh - if i'd known that i would've omitted even sharing what ive spend on the car thus far lol

on the subject of airbag squibs, had a look on my tech2 at the ohms - side and curtain both reading over 7 ohms - should be around the 2.5 ohm mark from what I've read

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hang on, before criticising the dealer, by that list they appear to have run a diagnostic check, and a health inspection as well!
So at that price it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
missed your reply there, but yeah although it doesn't state a diagnostic check on the bill they've obviously charged me for the time to do the battery and check other stuff on the car, and i know they've had the bumper off as well because they've stated that the driver side headlamp has cracked tabs at the bottom of it, thus making it insecure and they've charged me £2.72 for 2 bulbs, so they've checked all the lights for sure - i didn't tell them to check the car over, but maybe at this dealership they just do it anyways - and in fairness I'm glad that they did because how else would i know the handbrake doesn't meet mot standards?, it holds the car on a hill so from my point of view its fine - it gives me the chance to go get the repairs done elsewhere or try and diy them myself - besides you can register your vauxhall car with the service club thing and get discounts whenever you have the dealer do something, also comes with half price mot's, every other garage round here charges the maximum mot fee possible - indies and diy is defo the way to go, but sometimes the dealer can be helpful lol

stratstone Mercedes of ayr does a full health report on your car whenever it comes in for anything, that's just there thing and probably makes them alot of money but its not like your obligated to pay them to do the work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So what fault codes do you have,..
Do a full dtc scan with your Tech 2 and post the results here.
I've posted what's wrong with the car in my first post on page 1, and already did use my tech2 to see what fault codes there is, tech2 lists 3, passenger side airbag squib open circuit, passenger curtain airbag squib open circuit and o2 heater sensor bank 1 sensor 2

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I think I would be trying cleaning the UEC as a first step to curing the lighting problems. If you look at the Astra section of the forum, I think there is a guide on there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,529 Posts
Ok so no codes,... to start with does your car actually have curtain airbags fitted they are in the headlining above both front doors, if it does then check the passenger one is present and plugged in, same goes for the side airbag fault, is it still present in the seat, you may find its been hit on the passenger side at some time and both bags may have deployed and have never been replaced.
You can test the O2 sensor heater circuit with a multimeter if you have one.

·
Super Moderator
25,362 Posts
yeah didn't think a battery could cause so much drama tbh - if i'd known that i would've omitted even sharing what ive spend on the car thus far lol

on the subject of airbag squibs, had a look on my tech2 at the ohms - side and curtain both reading over 7 ohms - should be around the 2.5 ohm mark from what I've read
Batteries can cause your engine to cut out .
Even F1 cars suffer from battery issues , ask Red Bull racing about why their Renault power units keep on shutting the engine down ?
Yep it’s a battery issue , the engine & hybrid systems need a constant powerful supply of electrical juice to run the management system & once it drops off the engine just dies .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok so no codes,... to start with does your car actually have curtain airbags fitted they are in the headlining above both front doors, if it does then check the passenger one is present and plugged in, same goes for the side airbag fault, is it still present in the seat, you may find its been hit on the passenger side at some time and both bags may have deployed and have never been replaced.
You can test the O2 sensor heater circuit with a multimeter if you have one.
02 sensor i know is bad, ordered one off eurocarparts afew days ago, so should get that sometime next week - from what I've read this car should be fitted with curtain airbags, roof lining looks intact and i assume if they deployed some of the lining would be ripped? - i'll get the lining off and have a look

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A bit naïve when it comes to dealers.

My suggestion for public transport was the only alternative,..... as anyone else would have asked a friend for a lift :D
its alright if you know someone who would be willing to give you a lift lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.