Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some advice, got a astra-h 2007 sport, bought it cheap as salvage and been working on bringing it back from the dead, had some work done to it (since I'm not a professional mechanic, more of a hobby mechanic) so what i had done was new steering rack, exhaust, water pump/cam belt changed, trackrod ends on both sides and passenger side ball joint (for £580 inc vat and labor) then yesterday when i was filling it up at the petrol station it wouldn't start, so after a minor altercation with the staff there i managed to get the car going again (thank god lol) and took it to vauxhall for a new battery (vauxhall dealer is close to that petrol station, hence why i went there in the first place lol) so that was another £155 inc vat and labor after the 25% discount the dealer offers on older vauxhall's

at the dealer they mentioned some stuff that was wrong with the car which is:
* o/s headlamp inop - insecure & clips broken
* o/s/f fog lamp inop - requires checking
* n/s brake lamp inop
* o/s brake pads worn
* n/s brake pad low
* rear wiper inop
* brake fluid contaminated
* excess play of suspension arm rearward bush
* handbrake efficiency low (8%)
* airbag light on, passenger squib open circuit, passenger curtain squib open circuit
* EML on, o2 heater sensor bank 1 sensor 2

what was pointed out was the stuff to do with the lights are wiring faults, apparently

so my question is, should i bother working my way through this list or should i just give up and sell it to recoup some of my costs back?

its a 2007 car, 97,000 miles on it, body is in good condition as is the interior and barring whats posted above the rest of the car works great, even the a/c works lol

and if you think i should continue fixing the car, anyone know of a decent place in East Ayrshire, scotland that is good and reliable? - since there is stuff listed above that i wont be able to do myself really

thanks

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I would keep now you've already had all that work done there's nothing major in that list although it's going to cost a few hundred pounds more less if you do yourself ie the 02 sensor is quite easy bank 2 is post cat rear wiper not required for mot although I would go through all the fuses brake fluid is hydroscopic and probably has water in easy enough to bleed system when doing pads airbags someone will come along to shine light on that one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ vexorg yeh battery is easy, just that there isn't a halfords in auchinleck, petrol station doesn't sell them and only other place was the vauxhall dealer, and being kerr & smith i find trying to get them to sell you the part is murder, hence why i just paid for that to be done, was kinda expensive but worth it to me to save another drama of the car not starting lol - I'm in auchinleck

@ jayb9998 i was kinda thinking the same tbh, only concern being the wiring stuff, as that can get expensive quickly, brake pads, o2 sensor and brake fluid i can do easy enough, suspension arm i can look that up, probably doable - just wouldn't know where to start with tracking down the wiring faults really

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ vexorg cant stand the Bridgend staff tbh, i use that place as last resort - i just find the people that work at the parts/scrap area to be overly rude for no reason, so the less money i spend there the better lol

have noticed its abit like if your face suits really, so your mileage may vary - do you have a workshop? or is the parts just for your own cars?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ vexorg yeh eBay is my go to place for parts really, then i'll use bridgend for little things like wheel bolts or wiper arms

a days work sounds good to me hehe - do you help members with car repairs?, if not no worries, just thought i'd ask :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
£155 is scandalous. I paid a ton for a genuine gm battery not that long ago. So 55 pounds for fitting bloody hell
dealer prices, hence why there best avoided if possible really - was quoted £220 for a replacement folding key from same dealer, bought a blank unlocked folding key from eBay (£15) and it came cut to code, then used my tech2 to program it to the cars immob - can do same thing with opcom if your feeling super cheap lol

even getting your cars immob code from the dealer costs £25, for a piece of paper and laminated card with a number printed on them that isnt miles away from 1234 lol

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
dealer prices, hence why there best avoided if possible really - was quoted £220 for a replacement folding key from same dealer, bought a blank unlocked folding key from eBay (£15) and it came cut to code, then used my tech2 to program it to the cars immob - can do same thing with opcom if your feeling super cheap lol

even getting your cars immob code from the dealer costs £25, for a piece of paper and laminated card with a number printed on them that isnt miles away from 1234 lol
Can you not order a cheaper battery online & have it delivered? Think I paid around £90 for a s/s battery for my previous Astra J 2.0cdti froma local motor factors, Eurocarparts were doing them for around the same cash. That was a big battery due tom the s/s system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you not order a cheaper battery online & have it delivered? Think I paid around £90 for a s/s battery for my previous Astra J 2.0cdti froma local motor factors, Eurocarparts were doing them for around the same cash. That was a big battery due tom the s/s system.
without a doubt, but kinda wanted it done that day and didn't want to risk being stuck again - battery's last for ages so wont need doing again in the car's lifetime, and can sell that battery on once the rest of the car gives up lol

·
Premium Member
774 Posts

Yeah i did it the cheaper way with my zafira a. Key blank bought locally. Used fob with transponder (ebay) and opcom from somewhere. All done for less than fifty quid all in . Opcom still going strong and paid for itself time and time again.

Lost the car pass for this car but remembered where the dealer got the original replacement from. Gave them a ring and they still had details on file so gave me all the codes for free.

As a tightwad that pleased me enormously!!

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
without a doubt, but kinda wanted it done that day and didn't want to risk being stuck again - battery's last for ages so wont need doing again in the car's lifetime, and can sell that battery on once the rest of the car gives up lol
If ya lucky batteries last for ages. I've had a few that have died at 2 years old. Worth buying one with longer than a years warranty. We had a Tigra B that the vaux battery died at two years old. Yet my father in law has had his original battery in his Zaf for 12 years and still cranking strongly:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If ya lucky batteries last for ages. I've had a few that have died at 2 years old. Worth buying one with longer than a years warranty. We had a Tigra B that the vaux battery died at two years old. Yet my father in law has had his original battery in his Zaf for 12 years and still cranking strongly:)
I've never heard of a car battery only lasting 2 years, if they're maintained and not left flat for months they'll last at minimum 5 years, from my experience anyways

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i did it the cheaper way with my zafira a. Key blank bought locally. Used fob with transponder (ebay) and opcom from somewhere. All done for less than fifty quid all in . Opcom still going strong and paid for itself time and time again.

Lost the car pass for this car but remembered where the dealer got the original replacement from. Gave them a ring and they still had details on file so gave me all the codes for free.

As a tightwad that pleased me enormously!!

Bill
Quite right tbh, just need to be careful with used Transponders, sometimes they don't like being programmed to a completely different car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get the bus/train into Kilmarnock!! Plenty small and bigger places there to choose from.
What, garages? Would need to drive the car to them lol so not sure how the train would be beneficial

Unless your judging bout my choice of place to get the new battery from lol, in which case I say, train there's n back with a battery and cheapo socket set would've been a massive ball ache, assuming the train was even there once I got to the station, even biggar ball ache if it wasn't due for another's 40 mins

But if your dedicated to saving money where ever possible then sure, your idea saves a fortune, just a massive inconvenience lol

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
I've never heard of a car battery only lasting 2 years, if they're maintained and not left flat for months they'll last at minimum 5 years, from my experience anyways
Luck of the draw with batteries really. Tigras went at 2 year old, warranty didn't cover it either. Also had a Landover battery die at 4 years old. Take some cranking those diesel batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
£155 is scandalous. I paid a ton for a genuine gm battery not that long ago. So 55 pounds for fitting bloody hell
Hang on, before criticising the dealer, by that list they appear to have run a diagnostic check, and a health inspection as well!
So at that price it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.