Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my car from the garage. Now I know the fault was intermittent, so I don't want to tempt fate, but the fault found fits with the code, so fingers crossed.

When the car broke down completely, it finally gave me a fault code and this was P0299-5A Intake Air System Leak detected.

The link below really explains that code well, and includes a list of possible symptoms and reasons, so if anyone else has a limping car it might be worth a look and if you have not got an OP-COM yet, I think they are really worth the money.

Having been told that the EGR was by-passed by the previous garage and couldn't be the cause of the problem, the new garage found that it was open and letting in air.

£20 for closing the gap and for now it seems to be working - how happy am I?!

Can't quite relax yet, as it was an intermittent problem, but the problem found does fit with the code, so I'm really hopeful.

So, thank you very much for all your suggestions - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thank you for the OP-COM and I hope anyone else with the same horrible limp mode, also finds the cause.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
When my zafira was showing that code the first thing i used to check/ clean was the egr valve. In my case the car would run fine and suddenly lose power. The eml would illuminate at that moment. Then the car would run fine again. I always felt that the egr was a bit "sticky". Hopefully yours is sorted now but beware the 2279 5a code covers several other areas/sensors as well.

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill for that info - yes, the EGR valve kept coming up on online as being the likely candidate, but the mechanic kept saying it couldn't be the EGR, as it had been by-passed. I'm presuming whether it has been by-passed or not, it physically was open and letting in air and not checking it has led to three years of intermittently breaking down. I'm sure if you have also suddenly lost power, you know how awful and dangerous that can be and not fun when you have children and dogs in the car. Thanks very much for the tip :)

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Absolutely ! Scary stuff. Because that code cropped up and cleaning the egr valve always fixed it. I was stumped when a cleaned egr didnt fix it. I drove around with the eml on (same 2279 5a code) for a couple of years and changed and checked everything i thought it could be . It turned out to be the swirl valves leaking. Glued them temporarily (still holding) and instant fix . Glad yours is fixed anyway .

Bill

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Also i couldnt have done (and learned) a lot of the stuff i did without the help and advice of the members of this excellent forum !

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts