Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought this to build a test kit which will be linked to an Astra ECU, probably a Z16XEP. (I haven't bought the ECU yet).

Gas Electronic component Machine Electric blue Cable

Font Gas Auto part Rectangle Metal

Circuit component Gas Font Rectangle Metal

I can't find anywhere that will sell me the ECU with the wiring plug, they all want to sell me the loom or a full ECU kit, which I don't need.

I only need to connect to some of the pins to establish communication - all I'm doing is testing the SWCAN and HSCAN communication lines.

So for now can someone give me the pin out diagram for the blue plug and also the black plug for the module I have bought please?

It would also be useful to know what size terminal female connectors I will need to connect to those pins? I can just connect to individual pins that way and heatshrink them in place. They will not need to be unplugged once connected.

Then once I have got the SDM module connected and working I can add an ECU once I've located a suitable item at a sensible price.

This could be an interesting project once it's up and running.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem with being alcoholically compromised while being on holiday. Wrong way round, engine ECU will of course be on HSCAN and SDM on SWCAN.

As for what I am trying to - all I need to is to establish connection using OpCom. My Meriva only uses MSCAN and I need to be able to test other two CAN channels too.

A simple test rig means I know those channels work for a very low investment.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,626 Posts
Most diag tools won't send wake up voltage signal on LS can, I think opcom also, had trouble waking up modules like IPC. Terminal size I can check later on, you could also buy an ecu plug from scrap and use those pins. You need 1x 120 ohms resistor in parallel with engine ecu, so the CAN equivalent resistance is 60 ohms.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to switch wake up voltage manually, that is why I am looking at Z16XEP because I am told it doesn't need the relay to send the wake up signal.

Hadn't considered the CAN resistance to be honest, something else to consider.

I'm going to pop to my local scrappy and see if I can buy the plugs but most won't cut anything off a loom. Maybe if I buy the ECU from them and go up in the week I might be successful.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quoting from other smart guys about GM's implementation of low speed can, single wire.

The spec for wake-up is to send a special message with ID 0x100 at the high voltage once (meaning send-once and then abort transmission of that), then wait for a specific number of milliseconds (sometimes 100ms, may be different on a particular vehicle), and then send the VNMF Frame (Virtual Network something) with the correct ID for that car and the right data bits (there are 64 in 8 bytes) saying which "virtual networks" you want to come up and stay up. Then you (or whatever is the manager of that virtual network) has to keep sending that packet every 3 seconds to keep the network alive. When you want the network to "sleep" again you stop sending the VNMF message.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't need smart guys do we? We just need to know enough to get this working or find out lots along the way. Either way we learn things.

So this is what I have given to me so far:

"
SW-CAN - XC17 ( black ) - 35, 36, 37 - goes to OBD2 socket pin 1
+12V Power/Ignision - X18 (brown) - 15, 29 - goes to OBD2 socket pin 16
GND - XC18 (brown) - 16 - goes to OBD2 socket pin 4 and 5x"

This is just to link to the SDM using OpCom.

Sound good so far? Only issue I see is reference to XC18 as brown whereas I have a blue socket which I am assuming is what XC18 plugs into?

·
Premium Member
16,118 Posts
I wish i would have known you were going to do this a few months ago when i scrapped a Astra Twintop, would have ripped the loom out for you along with the CIM (which i think your going to need.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know I was going to do this myself a few months back!
Without going into details I can't really afford not to.
I don't need to access any of the modules beyond establishing basic communication, which is why I don't even need to know the security codes or be able to access measuring blocks fault codes etc.
Why would I need the CIM? I don't need to trigger a run state, just a key on engine off condition.

·
Premium Member
16,118 Posts
In that case why dont you find the pinout for the ecu you want to use as a test module and pin it out to Opcom while powering the ecu up with a bench supply unit and see if you can achieve what you want rather than messing with the SDM module.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
He needs to test the opcoms, thus in Meriva he does the ms can and on bench hs can on ecu and ls can on sdm. Doubting a bit about the later.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, Meriva uses KWP2000 so I can test pins 7, 8 and 12 on the car as well as MSCAN.
I was advised to buy the SDM to test the SWCAN channel and I know ECU is on HSCAN.
Actually of all the modules I expected the airbag system to be on HSCAN because it has to act so fast, but apparently SWCAN is still plenty fast enough.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While our Touran was having its long awaited MoT I took my hairy sidekick for a walk to the local scrapyard to get the wiring plugs I needed.
Explained what I needed and one of the grunts went off to get the SDM plugs and came back with this -

Wood Floor Font Material property Hood

I need one of them anyway but besides the fact he got the wrong thing it cost me a tenner! Tried again, this time showing him what I'm doing with simple pictures and drawings. Came back with a price - £70 for the 2 ECU plugs and 2 SDM plugs so I told him thanks but no thanks.

·
17,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So now I have the correct terminals to fit the pins in the SDM but I need to know which plug is the XC17 and which one is the XC18? Then I can wire it up and see if my project works before buying an ECU to add that in too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts