Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with the horsebox just now. Its a 1985 Bedford TL (B reg).

It wouldnt start (battery was completely dead as it had lay for over a year) so put the battery on charge. Put it back on and when turning the key it would turn over slowly but then start clicking.

We had a lorry guy come look at it and he said it was a dodgy earth and done something under the engine with a jump lead and it started no problem.

On enquiring he connected the jump lead from the starter motor to the chassis, providing a good earth.

So my question, is it a case of clipping one end of the jump lead to the metal body of the starter motor, and the other end to any part of the chassis?

The truck wont be seeing the road again for a long time, but I want to keep it running/moving about the yard to save the brakes seizing etc, but it wont start again and must be due to this earth problem.

If I can connect a jump lead permanent then at least it would get started everytime.

·
Yawn.
13,796 Posts
Just get a length of heavy duty cable (4-AWG) or something, maybe from an ICE place, and some battery crimps onto the cable, then fit one end to the battery, and one to some metalwork

Jobbed.

can leave it on permanently, and not losing a jump lead then...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not just buy an earth strap, clean up one of the mounting bolts for the starter motor, clean up a point on the chassis bolt it on and bobs your uncle! were not talking megabucks here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts