Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
Takes me back, my dad taught me, proper drill sergeant too learned my skills in a van no back windows but still had to check rear view mirror even though there wasn't one lol he said if you can master this van then your pass, took me out every night 4 hours for a couple months, you didn't back chat my dad unless you you wanted a baseball bat across the knuckles 馃榿

It's a good idea to find a big empty carpark or a show ground, my dad took me out to his airbase to begin with to let me get the feel of the car, did plenty of turn manoeuvres all what's required, then eventually went out on the road, then the better I got the more busier he took me in to traffic, had a couple professional lessons then test, but my dad taught me all I needed to know.

Always remember hill starts being my downfall so he deliberately made the hand brake crap in the van so you had to really yank it and took me on the steepest hills known to man until I mastered it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #22
Cheers for the input all....

I accept things have changed since I passed my test (over thirty years ago now) and wont be teaching her anything I think... just let it be accumulated experience behind the wheel, the formal teaching stuff is down to the paid bod and I dont want to inadvertently confuse things by contradicting something they say.

Its a few weeks off yet anyway - enough time to look into and sort the insurance angle.

Premium Member
My son had around 20 lessons with an instructor then passed first time when he was 18. Pleased he did mind, as he's now took to public transport. Still it's there if he ever needs it within the future.
I left it with a recommended instructor, as I didn't want him picking up any of my bad habits either:ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
Cheers for the input all....

I accept things have changed since I passed my test (over thirty years ago now) and wont be teaching her anything I think... just let it be accumulated experience behind the wheel, the formal teaching stuff is down to the paid bod and I dont want to inadvertently confuse things by contradicting something they say.

Its a few weeks off yet anyway - enough time to look into and sort the insurance angle.
Start teaching the Maintenance side of driving a car (Checking fluids, Tyre pressure) and how to use a Sat Nav

Premium Member
My son had around 20 lessons with an instructor then passed first time when he was 18. Pleased he did mind, as he's now took to public transport. Still it's there if he ever needs it within the future.
I left it with a recommended instructor, as I didn't want him picking up any of my bad habits either:ROFLMAO:
To late he picked up your picking your nose and scratching your Knads

Premium Member
Have you got any insurance quotes yet?
Alas, you might be in for a nasty shock :)
My nephew passed his test at 18, he is now 20 and just got his first car, every car he went to see his insurance was well over 拢1000, he has just bought a Corsa 1.2 on a 56 plate and was quoted 拢700 fully comp with one of the tracking boxes.

Registered
While trying to sell Mo (my 2005 plate Blue 1.6 Astra) 2 years ago one bloke was very interested until he found that new driver/learner insurace was not available for a car with an engine larger than 1.4L -- at any price - even though the Astra was being offered for sale at around the 拢1500 and a bit mark. :)

Rascal
I remember the additional time driving with my mum (dad did a couple of times but he doesn鈥檛 have the patience!) and yeah it was mostly just getting comfy with everything going on around you in the car and on the road. Not as long ago as for some of you, but it all added up. The more time you spend on the road, the more situations you will be exposed to that could feasibly happen during the test and afterwards.

Amusingly enough my wife鈥檚 cousin has just passed his test and bought a car with his money from his 18th. He called me up for some words of wisdom but basically, he鈥檚 got an M-reg C-class 2.2 diesel for the same price and insurance as a Corsa/polo/Clio etc of similar age. What with the majority of the insurance loading being the third party aspect at that age. Much more kudos than what his mates have got!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #30
Start teaching the Maintenance side of driving a car (Checking fluids, Tyre pressure) and how to use a Sat Nav
Yeah, we are definitely doing that - so many people are blissfully unaware of even basics and will rely on RAC/local garage for something they could easily solver (or prevent) themselves.

I remember the additional time driving with my mum (dad did a couple of times but he doesn鈥檛 have the patience!) and yeah it was mostly just getting comfy with everything going on around you in the car and on the road. Not as long ago as for some of you, but it all added up. The more time you spend on the road, the more situations you will be exposed to that could feasibly happen during the test and afterwards.

Amusingly enough my wife鈥檚 cousin has just passed his test and bought a car with his money from his 18th. He called me up for some words of wisdom but basically, he鈥檚 got an M-reg C-class 2.2 diesel for the same price and insurance as a Corsa/polo/Clio etc of similar age. What with the majority of the insurance loading being the third party aspect at that age. Much more kudos than what his mates have got!
Her first car is already taken care of.... its sat on the drive and I have even used it on a few jobs. Am going to poke into the learner insurance today and hopefully wont be completely bent over a barrel :oops:

Premium Member
I taught our daughter and our son to drive and they both passed first time. Taught the wife to drive as well but that's another story. One thing I told them was that when they were taking the test, the examiner is not an instructor so don't look to him for advice. For example, if you're doing the three point turn and get into a right fankle don't expect him to advise you, just stop and compose yourself then start again. To be fair the examiner usually gives you time to do that after the emergency stop.

Biggest problem I'd have these days if I had to resit the test would be the computerised part of it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I am thinking I will adopt most of the advice imparted above - in that I wont actually do much, if anything, in the way of actual teaching.... A lot has changed since my formal instruction days and I have no doubt the manner in which I drive, whilst effective, has a lot of bad habits (potential fails to be honest) and so on.

Time behind the wheel, with me in the passenger seat, will just be for hours on the road, familiarity, gaining experience and confidence.

And a seperate "learners policy" covering her in the Mini Cooper is nothing like as expensive as I was preparing myself for - only done the one quote so far and it was 拢280 for 5 months of learner cover. I dont think that is bad at all.... once she passes and is taking on a car fully, I expect it will be horrific.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts