Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay am sure some of you out there either had kids early, or are at least as ancient as myself..... the time has come (or will in December) to slap some L - plates on the motor and get the teen monster on the road. Looking on the bright side, at least I dont have hair to pull out - although I guess I could end up with a patchy, ragged beard.....

So, VxON collective - what is the best way to go about this? Anyone have any thoughts? She will be starting lessons with a proper instructor too, this will just be parental 'filling up around the edges'.

I am the only driver currently and the Q5 and Mini Cooper are on a multi-car policy with AXA - I will check prices at the time but has anyone experience of adding the learner/provisional driver onto their main insurance as a named driver? Or going with a seperate "learner insurance" for a 4 month period? (The advanatge of that being that any incidents dont go against the main policy). She is only going to be driving the Mini.

Feedback, thoughts, even horrific anecdotes of learners/instructing family members to drive - all welcome.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Insurance wise it normally adds a fair bit to the cost of the policy, you can hire learner cars these days with the dual controls, which make things a little less painful on the pride and joy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance wise it normally adds a fair bit to the cost of the policy, you can hire learner cars these days with the dual controls, which make things a little less painful on the pride and joy

Nice to know that dual control cars can be rented as an option.... but she will only be in Mini which is destined to be her car anyway, once she passes.
Beginning to think I may just opt for a 4 month period of learner cover on the Mini as a seperate policy rather than add her onto existing policy, until she passes.

·
Likes this.
11,193 Posts
Both my two girls haven't rushed at all to start driving. They're 18 and (almost) 21 now and the eldest has had a few lessons but then gave up, and is currently thinking about starting again now.

Step son is the only one currently driving, and he had his own three month learner policy on Lisa's Stepway, but didn't really drive it much because he said it was rubbish and the gears, brakes etc were awful :LOL: - he's now got his 20 plate Ibiza FR Sport anyway so he's happy :)

Step daughter did the same with Lisa's Stepway, but then gave up with lessons before she got to the point of being ready to take the test.

The only bit of advice I can offer is just let her drive. Don't mess around trying to get her to do manoeuvres, parking etc when she's in the car with you. Let her just get behind the wheel experience and confidence to just be out driving, and leave the more technical stuff to the instructor. That's all my dad did for me and my sister and it worked wonders. For my experience and no doubt his stress levels :)

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both my two girls haven't rushed at all to start driving. They're 18 and (almost) 21 now and the eldest has had a few lessons but then gave up, and is currently thinking about starting again now.

Step son is the only one currently driving, and he had his own three month learner policy on Lisa's Stepway, but didn't really drive it much because he said it was rubbish and the gears, brakes etc were awful :LOL: - he's now got his 20 plate Ibiza FR Sport anyway so he's happy :)

Step daughter did the same with Lisa's Stepway, but then gave up with lessons before she got to the point of being ready to take the test.

The only bit of advice I can offer is just let her drive. Don't mess around trying to get her to do manoeuvres, parking etc when she's in the car with you. Let her just get behind the wheel experience and confidence to just be out driving, and leave the more technical stuff to the instructor. That's all my dad did for me and my sister and it worked wonders. For my experience and no doubt his stress levels :)
Yeah I think that sounds like the best course..... leave the more technical, fiddly stuff to the professional and just let it be extra hours behind the wheel, gaining confidence in/out of junctions etc.

I will get quotes nearer the time but at the moment I am leaning towards a seperate, 4 month or so, learners insurance policy for her on the Mini Cooper - which is destined to be her car when she passes anyway. I did worry about the cost of Cooper to insure, but although relatively nippy it is hardly a sporty car and I have driving instructors in Coopers so cant be that tricky to insure for a learner.

·
Likes this.
11,193 Posts
I don't think it makes that much difference what car it is when you're getting a learner policy. Obviously something REALLY fast will be expensive, but a "normal" car you probably won't see that much difference between a 1ltr and a 2ltr for a separate learner policy - given that they can only drive it with someone next to them anyway. It's when they pass it becomes extortionate without a black box!

That's what Cameron (step son) chose to do, he didn't want a black box because (his words) he "wanted to mess about a bit". His last car before he got the motability Ibiza was a Fabia VRS and that was costing him £225 a month to insure!

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it makes that much difference what car it is when you're getting a learner policy. Obviously something REALLY fast will be expensive, but a "normal" car you probably won't see that much difference between a 1ltr and a 2ltr for a separate learner policy - given that they can only drive it with someone next to them anyway. It's when they pass it becomes extortionate without a black box!

That's what Cameron (step son) chose to do, he didn't want a black box because (his words) he "wanted to mess about a bit". His last car before he got the motability Ibiza was a Fabia VRS and that was costing him £225 a month to insure!
When it comes to afterward - obviously she wont be paying for it (sadly) and it will not quite be her car, but more or less...

If it makes a huge difference then in the black box goes - our money, our rules.... but the fairer sex dont generally get stuffed as badly as teen males when it comes to new drivers. Understandably. I think we all know, from experience, teen males are absolute dicks behind the wheel - speaking for myself I am lucky I made it to this age :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dont try to teach her anything... leave that too the pro's. All they do is pick up our bad habits and take longer to pass their test.
Maybe sit in the car with her but keep quiet :)
Hard I know!
When she's passed get HER to pay HER own insurance .... so that she learns the value of a "no claim bonus".
DTDTGTTS .... eledest got 6 points (speeding of course) inside 2 years and had to re-do his test at his own expense. Leason learnt..... :)

·
Likes this.
11,193 Posts
All they do is pick up our bad habits and take longer to pass their test.
That's a good point actually. I was told by Step Daughter when I was sitting with her that apparently you don't have to pull up the handbrake now every time you stop, after I warned her about sitting at a traffic light junction on her footbrake.

I have no idea if she was correct or not and haven't bothered to check to be honest - but it shows that some of what we needed to know to pass our test back in the day may no longer really be relevant.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes ... both my sons left braking for junctions very late - told me thats the way we're tought to do it .... they also said that my 3-point turn method (turning the steering wheel while moving) would now fail the test.
Apparently you have to stop then turn the wheels!! :)

·
Worn Out Member
6,576 Posts
Some of it may not be relevant to passing the test now,but i feel it produced a more mechanically sympathetic driver,
i'd think i'd struggle to pass nowadays as i'm sure i've developed far too many so called bad habits over the years,
but to me engine braking downhill rather than relying on the brakes,knocking it out of gear before stopping at lights etc
all contribute to a smooth drive and reduce wear and tear,although i can't believe it's ok not to use the handbrake when stopped for more than a few seconds,
it's one of the reasons i don't like the starting method on the newer cars,to me it's totally alien to have to floor the clutch just to start the damm things !
I'm wondering how the examiners assess hill starts nowadays when you have HSA to help out and do the job for you lol

·
Likes this.
11,193 Posts
Yes ... both my sons left braking for junctions very late - told me thats the way we're tought to do it .... they also said that my 3-point turn method (turning the steering wheel while moving) would now fail the test.
Apparently you have to stop then turn the wheels!! :)
That's stupid. Puts unnecessary strain on the tyres and steering components. Plus it also means if you're parked, or stopped at the side of the road, then turn the wheels ready to manoeuvre, but wait due to oncoming traffic - then a car slams into you from behind, you will end up in the path of the oncoming traffic.

but hey, what do I know......

·
Likes this.
11,193 Posts
to me it's totally alien to have to floor the clutch just to start the damm things !
It's not to me because I've always left my cars in gear, and was taught to do so by my dad as a youngster because our drive was on a slope :)

·
Worn Out Member
6,576 Posts
I was taught exactly the same way Steve,
but jumping in and out of customers cars all day for 50 years it became second nature to always check they were out of gear before cranking.

·
Likes this.
11,193 Posts
I was taught exactly the same way Steve,
but jumping in and out of customers cars all day for 50 years it became second nature to always check they were out of gear before cranking.
Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Especially if you are leaning in through an open window, with the bonnet already open, and the handbrake off...... 😱 :ROFLMAO:

·
Worn Out Member
6,576 Posts
I've seen it a couple of times,overall covered legs hanging out of the window,
someone scrabling desperately trying to turn the ignition off or knock it out of gear before crashing into one side of the four poster.

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,115 Posts
That's a good point actually. I was told by Step Daughter when I was sitting with her that apparently you don't have to pull up the handbrake now every time you stop, after I warned her about sitting at a traffic light junction on her footbrake.

I have no idea if she was correct or not and haven't bothered to check to be honest - but it shows that some of what we needed to know to pass our test back in the day may no longer really be relevant.....
This is why us old fogies should take a refresher test.

A professional would do CPD courses. We get to carry on with our Gammon/Boomer ways, muttering that the youth of today don't know they're born. Not having a manual choke. Luxury of disc brakes and ABS and all that other electronic witchcraft.

In other news, I generally leave my cars parked with the handbrake off and in gear. Something that my dad made me do with my firs cars - Minis.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've seen it a couple of times,overall covered legs hanging out of the window,
someone scrabling desperately trying to turn the ignition off or knock it out of gear before crashing into one side of the four poster.
Seen 2 unregistered R5turbos smashed that way, ( by the same apprentice) and a drive on ramp lowered onto another (branch managers demo lol)

·
Super Moderator
26,978 Posts
I never got involved with either of my 2 kids , helped them with the cost of driving lessons & my parents said they’d help with the purchase of a car once they had passed.
My son passed first time @ 17 years of age & now at 32 years old he hasn’t had an accident or any motoring offences such as speeding etc , i must say he drives much better than me & keeps his emotions in check , whereas me occasionally will show some muppet how to drive.
My daughter passed her test & bought her own car after she got divorced & now is fully independent with her mum ( ex wife ) helping her out with running costs & is getting around working & taking the children to school etc.

·
Worn Out Member
6,576 Posts
Seen 2 unregistered R5turbos smashed that way, ( by the same apprentice) and a drive on ramp lowered onto another (branch managers demo lol)

It was always great sport for the ones that were watching lol but more often it was autos or motability cars involved,
one time (on our brand new mot section :censored:) we had an auto driven straight off the mot ramp and through a brick wall into a neighbours garden,you can't believe the speed a short run up and complete panic can achieve. 🤣

1 - 20 of 33 Posts