Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a Vivaro 1.9 1996 which had a ticking coming from the engine when I brought it. I was told it was a tappet sticking and would not be a problem and to carry on running it. Yesterday the tapping got worse for a few seconds and then stopped altogether for about 5 miles, sounded sweet with no unusual noise at all.
I stopped for a few hours, finished my job and started the engine to find it sounded 10 times worse than before.
Too to a local garage and was told it may be a little end, but im surprised that for 5 miles I would have had no noise at all. this was a reconditioned engine fitted by a vauxhall dealer 3 years ago with about 30,000 since then.

·
Premium Member
11,376 Posts
Hi,
I have a Vivaro 1.9 1996 which had a ticking coming from the engine when I brought it. I was told it was a tappet sticking and would not be a problem and to carry on running it. Yesterday the tapping got worse for a few seconds and then stopped altogether for about 5 miles, sounded sweet with no unusual noise at all.
I stopped for a few hours, finished my job and started the engine to find it sounded 10 times worse than before.
Too to a local garage and was told it may be a little end, but im surprised that for 5 miles I would have had no noise at all. this was a reconditioned engine fitted by a vauxhall dealer 3 years ago with about 30,000 since then.
Welcome to the forum

You have to speak to the Vauxhall dealer to check on warranty, but no doubt they will say it has to be serviced every .....months using Vauxhall parts, anything to get out of claim

What engine is it petrol or diesel, when was it last serviced, did they use the correct oil if like you say its a ticking sound that gets louder as you rev, but then stopped but has come back louder sound's more like a sticking hydraulic tappet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The engine was a diesel but is no more....It went pop yesterday afternoon! I am now looking for a replacement engine.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts