Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Part of what Fred said is the key to it. It's fast moving. Unchecked, the R rate would be between 2 and 3. It's different to the flu. In fact, it's very different. Yes, you may get similar symptoms, but that doesn't tell the story of the damage it does once you have it and how quickly it would spread without being kept in check with lockdowns, isolation, distancing etc.

There are so many plates that those in power have to spin and I do not envy them one bit.
Sorry to start another slight disagreement but the R rate is based on a model that projects figures based on assumptions so cant be used as a guide. I wouldnt trust it, its these kind of models that predicted London would be under water by 2020 because of climate change. . .

With these programs it all depends on what you input into them, so far they have been wrong by a factor of 12.

The real question is, if it is so bad why do you need to cook the books and inflate the numbers? :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
Sorry to start another slight disagreement but the R rate is based on a model that projects figures based on assumptions so cant be used as a guide. I wouldnt trust it, its these kind of models that predicted London would be under water by 2020 because of climate change. . .

With these programs it all depends on what you input into them, so far they have been wrong by a factor of 12.

The real question is, if it is so bad why do you need to cook the books and inflate the numbers? :cautious:
On the contrary i don’t think the figures are inflated , i think there under reported.
You cannot let this virus run it’s course , you’d bring the country down on it’s knees.
If you think it’s bad now you’d really looking down the barrel of gun if we let the virus run amok amongst the so called less affected.
Remember a lot of people who survive Covid get long term health conditions that will need more treatments , medications , short stays in hospital as they struggle with normal viruses & or old age.
Mass murder is what you’d be committing , plus how could the next older generation trust you wouldn’t just leave them out die when they get of that age ?
Not very Christian is it ?

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
On a lighter note , you need to watch the John Bishop video , it’s hilarious 😂
Good old Scouse humour lol 😂

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
On the contrary i don’t think the figures are inflated , i think there under reported.
You cannot let this virus run it’s course , you’d bring the country down on it’s knees.
If you think it’s bad now you’d really looking down the barrel of gun if we let the virus run amok amongst the so called less affected.
Remember a lot of people who survive Covid get long term health conditions that will need more treatments , medications , short stays in hospital as they struggle with normal viruses & or old age.
Mass murder is what you’d be committing , plus how could the next older generation trust you wouldn’t just leave them out die when they get of that age ?

I think instead of arguing for ever I will kindly state we must agree to disagree on this one but assuming you are correct for the sake of argument, doesnt that mean the lock down doesnt work as that is what is meant to be used to prevent the spread?

The fact that the case rate is going up while the death rate is not shows that its no longer as bad.

Remember a lot of people who survive Covid get long term health conditions that will need more treatments ,

I am not so sure about that plus if it has a 95% recovery rate, is it really that bad for the healthy?

That assumes Covid is as bad as you claim, especially for healthy people, this is what I think is simply not the case.

My idea would be to isolate the vulnerable but let the healthy be.

Remember, if I am right, there will be a lot more poverty and death from curable diseases. I dont think that is worth this so called solution, especially when I think there will be more people dying from curable diseases than Covid.

Remember dying of Covid is different from dying with Covid, this has not been clarified in the figures.

A Christian - (definition) person who follows Christs teachings, A Christian - (not a definition) a do gooder.

Always nice to hear those who claim there isnt a God to suddenly pretend there is such a thing as good or evil, what would you base that on?

Lets not start the religion topic as once I start to share my opinions we will get fire works.

·
"Red One.."
2,876 Posts
Haha religion.....each one with different perspectives on the same underpinnings of the universe to me...but with a very ego driven top coat that drives people to defend their religion and actually lose sight of what spirituality is all about..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
Anyway your plan won’t work because just like the common cold you can get reinfected with the Covid-19 virus.

·
Likes this.
11,184 Posts
You are & then the thread gets cut off.
just watched Sir Kier press for a 3 week lockdown to get virus back in check.
Now I'm sure you all know I sit left of the middle when it comes to my political views - but Mr Starmer has messed up here...

The whole Labour party abstained the vote for the three tier system and then the very next day he called for a circuit breaker lockdown. Sorry, but if that was your belief then surely he should have voted AGAINST the three tier system? Then explained the next day, when calling for the circuit breaker lockdown that THIS was the reason he voted against the government the day before.

They are all full of sh*t and don't give a stuff about anyone.

·
Likes this.
11,184 Posts
But one thing I do agree with Donald Trump is his message, dont be afraid and dont let this rule your life. I think that is good advice. Otherwise we will sleep walk into a society where people will be forced to do what the government wants. . .
The problem we have is that most of the country, especially the under 30s, aren't afraid - but also they don't give a f**k about anyone else and who they could be spreading it to.

I'm not letting it rule my life. I went to York last week for a few days break. I was careful. But I kept my distance from others as best I could and washed my hands etc.

Look at the idiots in Liverpool last night, partying in the streets just before they get locked down.

It's pricks like them that are forcing the government to consider further lockdowns.

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
The problem we have is that most of the country, especially the under 30s, aren't afraid - but also they don't give a f**k about anyone else and who they could be spreading it to.

I'm not letting it rule my life. I went to York last week for a few days break. I was careful. But I kept my distance from others as best I could and washed my hands etc.

Look at the idiots in Liverpool last night, partying in the streets just before they get locked down.

It's pricks like them that are forcing the government to consider further lockdowns.
You’ve hit the nail on the head Steve , it’s down to each of us to do what’s necessary to beat this virus & keep it down , politicians are now just point scoring & for the good of the country , just for now should be all on the same page.
We’ve all seen the shambles around that female SNP MP knowing she got infected but still traveled back home by train & yes i can hear people shout out “ what about Dominic Cummings? “ but he was not elected by the people into parliament unlike her.
And my point ? I’ve recently found out that many people who should be isolating are not bothering to do so even when they know a member of their household has tested positive & they are at risk.
I’ve witnessed this behaviour over the last ten days , one member of the team knew they had a family member with Covid -19 confirmed but still came into work because they didn’t want to take anytime off , result ? In 3 days we went from 1 positive case to 10 positive cases & now I’m off work for 2 weeks isolating & waiting on a second test result in the space of 6 days.
Why bother with test & trace if people won’t abide by the rules to help stop the spread ?

Reactions: SteveW

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You’ve hit the nail on the head Steve , it’s down to each of us to do what’s necessary to beat this virus & keep it down , politicians are now just point scoring & for the good of the country , just for now should be all on the same page.
We’ve all seen the shambles around that female SNP MP knowing she got infected but still traveled back home by train & yes i can hear people shout out “ what about Dominic Cummings? “ but he was not elected by the people into parliament unlike her.
And my point ? I’ve recently found out that many people who should be isolating are not bothering to do so even when they know a member of their household has tested positive & they are at risk.
I’ve witnessed this behaviour over the last ten days , one member of the team knew they had a family member with Covid -19 confirmed but still came into work because they didn’t want to take anytime off , result ? In 3 days we went from 1 positive case to 10 positive cases & now I’m off work for 2 weeks isolating & waiting on a second test result in the space of 6 days.
Why bother with test & trace if people won’t abide by the rules to help stop the spread ?
That being the case, why isnt it as bad as they claim it would be? They claimed there would be 50 000 deaths a year, we are no where near that. Why try lockdown when it doesnt work?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Another example from history

Hong Kong Flu - 1968

No lock down, vaccine was found after 4 months, the virus came back the following winter and most importantly it is still with us today. This was over 70 years ago and we have learned to live from this. There where 4 times the number of deaths compared to Covid yet man adapted to it.

Time to consider alternatives to lockdown before its too late.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

A fair point but what price are you willing to pay for safety? There have been two world wars and other conflicts so that we can have the freedom to do what we like (within the law), why throw it away.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Haha religion.....each one with different perspectives on the same underpinnings of the universe to me...but with a very ego driven top coat that drives people to defend their religion and actually lose sight of what spirituality is all about..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, that includes religions lead by men in white lab coats. . .

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Now I'm sure you all know I sit left of the middle when it comes to my political views - but Mr Starmer has messed up here...

The whole Labour party abstained the vote for the three tier system and then the very next day he called for a circuit breaker lockdown. Sorry, but if that was your belief then surely he should have voted AGAINST the three tier system? Then explained the next day, when calling for the circuit breaker lockdown that THIS was the reason he voted against the government the day before.

They are all full of sh*t and don't give a stuff about anyone.
I wouldnt use such colorful language but agree whole heartedly.

·
Rascal
12,194 Posts
That being the case, why isnt it as bad as they claim it would be? They claimed there would be 50 000 deaths a year, we are no where near that. Why try lockdown when it doesnt work?
we’ve had over 40,000 deaths in 7 months...so in a year it’s going to be up to 50,000 isn’t it?
Early on they were hoping to keep it under 20,000!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts