Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A chap filled his van with diesel and has the receipt to prove he did so but turned out his van died because the fuel mixture had petrol in it. . .

I have never heard of this with premium brands like Shell and BP.

Do you guys think its worth paying a little extra for these two for security?

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,305 Posts
Think it's faaaar more likely he'd dumped in a random Jerry can prior to turning up at the station, put in his diesel then been the only person out of hundreds to use that particular pump to have magically contaminated fuel. Shock...horror.

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
Mainly use supermarket diesel or petrol, never had an issue with cheaper petrol in over 35 years of driving. Only once had an issue with Tesco diesel within our old Landrover, water ingress within the fuel. Cost me 2 fuel filters to finally get the Landy running again. I've used mainly supermarket diesel (not tesco), within my last 3, 2.0cdti Astras, always ran as sweet as a nut. I'm happy to continue doing so.
My local Co-op supermarket fuel is actually more expensive than the shell garage nextdoor. I tend to buy my supermarket fuel from a neighbouring town (Middlesbrough), where the supermarket petrol/diesel is usually 6p a litre cheaper than my local garage (co-op or shell).

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I think some cars are 'pickier' than others..... I dont go out of my way to avoid supermarket fuel but I wont use it continually. The way I look at it, it is the fuel compnaies equivalent of the bottom of the tank, the dregs etc. Mostly I use Esso or Shell, occasionally BP - but that is more down to the availability of stations I usually pass. There are too many anecdotes of bad stuff happening to some cars on a constant diet of supermarket fuel - but I stress again, a lot depends on the car.

·
Worn Out Member
6,559 Posts
I've been a bit wary of supermarket fuel since the 2007 silicone in fuel issue we had (it may have been just in the south ?)
i changed a hell of a lot of 02 sensors in just a few weeks,so i use it only if there are no decent options .
Iirc it was down to just one batch of fuel and it only affected supermarkets,
proving to me at least that if you buy from a supermarket it makes no difference which one.

·
Likes this.
11,189 Posts
I never used to care about it in my Mondeo, but since owning the Leon I've only put Shell or BP in it, and I usually alternate between the "premuim" version and "normal" every tank full.

Yeah it costs a bit more, but especially at the moment where I'm not doing the miles I used to, it's not really that noticeable. The Leon is much more economical than the Mondeo was (59.9 mpg on last week's run up to York!) so I'm happy to spend a bit more for decent fuel :)

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,110 Posts
I only use supermarket fuel and I don't have any concerns about a one in a million chance of contaminated fuel from a high-turnover garage. Flip side is that my dad bought fuel from an independent garage a long time ago and that was contaminated.

I think, as Derkins said, it's more likely that he did it either by using contaminated jerry can fuel or was just a bit dim.

I very nearly mis-fuelled the other week though. It was only the fact that the diesel nozzle doesn't physically fit in the petrol filler neck that saved me. I haven't had a petrol car for over 10 years and I'd just put diesel in the other half's Mini. So easily done.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I use tesco fuel in the van, the van goes like a flipping rocket with it in and I noticed my smoke levels were down this year on the mot from last year's with a tank of v power, I put a tank of v power in once a month to keep it clean it, engine appears smoother but don't get the power like I do with tesco stuff weird.

I once filled my van up at a esso station, diesel and halfway home the van started playing up, looked at my receipt and said diesel, got home and dipped the tank and sure enough it smelt like petrol, dropped the tank and corrected the fuel, went back to that station to report it, apparently the tanker filled up the wrong tanks, cost the garage a shed load of claims money and it was closed for a week so yes it does happen.

Plus I have miss fueled when I was a youngon, filled my dads motor up to the brim with 4 star when it was a diesel, luckily I saw the mistake before we started it up so dad bought a Jerry can and put a pipe straight to the fuel pump so we could get home with fuel coming straight from the can between me legs lol.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I've always bought Supermarket fuel with no issues, I did use Esso a few months back and didn't notice any difference apart from less fuel for my money, then every other petrol station visit I'll put a full bottle of REDEX Diesel System Cleaner in the tank

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
I've always bought Supermarket fuel with no issues, I did use Esso a few months back and didn't notice any difference apart from less fuel for my money, then every other petrol station visit I'll put a full bottle of REDEX Diesel System Cleaner in the tank
I filled up today at S/B Asda, 6p a litre cheaper than the co-op in guis. Might as well, as I was passing from work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think as someone has already mentioned it depends on the vehicle, my 08 combo 1.7 doesn't seem to run any different no matter what i use, it starts idles and returns the same mpg on supermarket or brand diesel, but a few years ago i had a ford courier van (fiesta front end with box on back) it was a 1.8 tddi, and that was night and day different if you switched from premium to regular, it even cold started different. On premium i could hold 70mph in 5th gear up hill on the A5 on the way to work, but on regular i would hit the bottom of the hill at 70 but end up creeping over the brow of the hill at around 55 in 4th gear. I think fuel in general has improved massive over the years, mechanics years ago warned everyone that supermarket diesel would clog you egr in no time but they never seen to bang on about it anymore. I tend to use the local ESSO, out of convenience but using a supermarket wouldn't worry me at all.

·
VxON's meeter and greeter
875 Posts
When I had my Cavalier’s they ran on nothing but Shell unless I was desperate for fuel but both my diesel Citroen’s usually get Tesco or Costco for their monthly fill up and then Shell if they need a top up. Never had any issues with Tesco’s fuel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts