Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, so hello to everyone.

I've had a good rummage and haven't seen this problem listed.

My '98 omega 2.5 v6 is suffering from submerged spark plugs; namely the plug sockets fill with rainwater! This is causing it to misfire, as you would expect. Wondered if anyone else has seen / had this problem.

Also, I think I've a leak from the gearbox - there appears to be a very thin oil forming a small puddle underneath. Wondered if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the direction of the gearbox filler. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy garage in county durham, with experience of these cars I'd be eternally grateful...

I might add, that I'm no mechanic, but have a basic knowledge.

Many Thanks...

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jazz :)

Rain water??
I very much doubt it is rain water (even in County Durham, the wettest place in England I think! :lmao:).
I think you will find that is oil. Stick some kitchen roll in there and check. :)
Rocker cover gaskets leaking, caused by blocked breathers.

This will also account for the oil under the car.

Excellent how2's in the Omega how2 section.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Jazz Dalek said:
This is my first post, so hello to everyone.

I've had a good rummage and haven't seen this problem listed.

My '98 omega 2.5 v6 is suffering from submerged spark plugs; namely the plug sockets fill with rainwater! This is causing it to misfire, as you would expect. Wondered if anyone else has seen / had this problem.

Also, I think I've a leak from the gearbox - there appears to be a very thin oil forming a small puddle underneath. Wondered if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the direction of the gearbox filler. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy garage in county durham, with experience of these cars I'd be eternally grateful...

I might add, that I'm no mechanic, but have a basic knowledge.

Many Thanks...
Welcome to the forum.

Don't know about the V6 but on my 2.2 I had the same problem.

Basically water is dripping onto the engine via passenger side winscreen wiper, where the spindle comes through the facia, engine side.

Cured mine with a splash of silicone sealant.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, laidback.

Definately water. (There's a bit of oil in there too, for good measure!). The water is very clean and shows no signs of actually coming from the engine. I've just noticed Auto Addict has posted a similar experience. What a pain!

Where will I find the breathers affecting the rocker gaskets?

Watch this space - I might sell the so and so.

Yes, County Durham is exceedingly moist! :stormclou

Thanks for the help so far.

L

·
0 Posts
OK, if you have water then the things I would check are as Auto Addict says, the seals around the wiper spindles and the scuttle drainage holes, which are in each corner of the scuttle. It should all be clear and dry.

The breather pipes are the 4 pipes at the back of the engine connecting to the plenum (big silver block with "ecotec" on it).
To do the job you need to remove the plenum (not difficult) and remove the pipes.

How 2 here: http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83661

Did it myself this morning (7.30am and working on car on a Sunday... :shake) along with cleaning the throttle butterflies on the front.
Mine was not too bad, some crud.
Suprising difference made though, immediately noticeable (cheers Finlay! :))

Don't sell the car because of this. They are very good cars, and the best value for money around. They just require a little tlc. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers, Laidback; you're a star.

Thanks for the reassurance and the guidance.

I bought this car after having endless, ( and I mean endless...), electrical problems with a Renault. Was hoping this one would do me proud. Only had the omega for four months and am hoping it's not going to turn into the Forth Bridge!

I'll have a go at the breathers.

Any ideas where to find the gearbox filler?

L

·
0 Posts
You will find we are a very helpful and friendly bunch on here. :)

Endless electrical problems.... on a Renault.... really?? :lmao:
Only thing worse than Renault for electrical problems.. Alfa Romeo, but if you have a V6, you forgive it, for the wonderful noise!

Gearbox filler, don't be sure it is a gearbox leak.
However, the filler is on the driver side of the gearbox. Vx in their infinte wisdom decided the gearbox would be a non maintenance item under normal conditions (hence no dipstick).... :mmmm

Fluid level needs to be checked with engine running and car up to normal operating temperature (ie after a drive) on a flat surface.
Oil should just reach the bottom of the filler plug.
If you need to top up, use Dexron III (fully synthetic) oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, again.

You are an extremely helpful bunch!!!

I think I've enough info to tackle these probs, if not by myself, at least I can go to a garage better informed. I get the impression VX main dealers are not all that popular? One last point, if it isn't a gearbox leak, any ideas what it could be? This may be a daft question - please forgive my inexperience...

Renault = never again. Had a Clio 1.9 deisel that ran for ages and ages - only let down because the engine outlasted the rest of the car. Fantastic little thing. But bought a megane for the missus and it needed a new fuse box at 60,000 = £720.00 !!!!!!! Am I allowed to say "Heap of S&!t" ?

Anyway, thanks everyone.:lmao:

L

·
0 Posts
Entirely possible it is oil leaking down from rocker covers.

It was with mine and a few others I know of.
Very common on the V6's and due to the blocked breathers.

One final point. When was the cambelt kit last changed?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Jazz Dalek said:
Cambelt was changed last year, according to the prvious owner.
and were cambelt tensioners done? If you can't prove it, you need to do it I'm afraid....

R

·
0 Posts
That honest last owner may be realted to the honest last owner I bought mine from. He told me it had been done too. WRONG!

Unless you have the official garage receipt to confirm the cambelt has been done WITH the tensionsers within the last 40k or 4 years, treat it as an absolurte priority.

They do go and when they do, so does the engien. VERY exepnsive failure, very cheap DIY change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem sorted!!!!

Thanks very, very much to all who helped. I've applied sealant to the relevant places and managed to remove the water from the plug sockets. After a long run out the car has gone from chug to vroom! I was starting to think it might be the leads, or worse, but the car runs just like it should now. BIG thanks!!!

I bought the car off a workmate who really is as honest as they come, (a rarity, I know...). No signs of cracking etc on the belts. He has the receipt.

I just wish there was some way to repay everyones help, but I don't have the expertise, as far as cars are concerned. I'm a studio engineer, by trade, so if anyone makes their own music and is having probs, let me know. (A long shot, I admit, but you never know...).

Thanks again.

Andy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
laidback66 said:
You will find we are a very helpful and friendly bunch on here. :)

Endless electrical problems.... on a Renault.... really?? :lmao:
Only thing worse than Renault for electrical problems.. Alfa Romeo
Er excuse me thats utter tosh, I've had my 156 for Two & Half Years, Its had four tyres , one set brake pads, oil & filters ect and I've never had even a Bulb blow, dosen't leak oil, blow gaskets,nothing electrical has been replaced and never let me down :mmmm:

L

·
0 Posts
Jazz, good to hear it is sorted mate. :)
Just make sure that when your workmate had the job done that the tensioner and rollers were changed. The tensioner is what fails, not the belt.

You don't have to repay our help, we just like to be of assistance. Never known a forum with the same feel as this.
Just don't be a stranger. :)

Trionic... that is not a proper Alfa then! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Laidback. I'll check with him to see what was done - and then see about getting the whole thing done anyway. Suppose you can't take chances...

The car's not in bad order; It's a CDX, so has a lot of extas. The body work isn't quite perfect, but everything else is in good order. It's an R reg with 100,000 on and I paid less than a grand. Interior is spotless. I reckon it wasn't a bad deal, but got a bit worried about expensive repairs!!!

Cheers.

Oh, and about Alfas - My mate used to have an Alfasud. It lasted nearly two and a half years before the bodywork dissolved!

L

·
0 Posts
I so wanted a 1.5 Alfasud when I was a teenager... ended up with a 1.3 Hillman Avenger! :shame:

R

·
0 Posts
laidback66 said:
I so wanted a 1.5 Alfasud when I was a teenager... ended up with a 1.3 Hillman Avenger! :shame:
Oh No. Not you as well! I had a 1300 Avenger with its zippy red bar speedo! My mate had an Avenger Tiger. Now that was a nice car. He sold that and bought a Lotus Sunbeam. Oh, what a great little car that was. :bust: :bust: :bust: :bust:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
laidback66 said:
I had an Alfasud 1.3 TI (that's the coupe with the original spoiler kit and dual twin round headlamps - very rare). Had it for a year before crashed it and had it written-off :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts