Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

First post - found this forum by chance!

Driving home last night and for the last few minutes the car (a 53 2.2 auto Vectra Elegance) sticks in 5th gear (didn't try reverse). Get home and forget all about it (had been one of those days).

Driving to work today and 10 mins into the journey, it sticks in 5th gear again (can tell when I switch the gear selector to manual and on the dash display I constantly get "5"). I did try reverse this morning and it was fine. It lets me pull away from junctions although obviously not very fast :) .On the motorway I try to select cruise control and although the light on the dash for cruise control flickers every now and again, cruise control won't engage.

At this point I'm a bit peeved, and even more so when, some miles further down the motorway, I look in the mirror to see smoke or steam coming from the car. No increase on the temp. gauge on the dashboard. I immediately pull over, 'phone the AA, who only send a recovery truck, and I get dropped off at my workplace.

So, stuck in 5th, cruise control no longer works and it has overheated.

I know bad luck comes in threes, but surely this is pushing it?

Any suggestions?

(I've only had the car less than a month, although have probably went over the 1000 mile limit of those useless warranties but some info. would be handy before I go moaning to the dealer).

Thanks in advance!

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
did you get the 'sticking in 5th' and cruise control issue sorted, i've just bought a 2.2 elite and within a few hours i've had stuck in 5th and cruise flickers but won't engage.

Be interested to see what was your solution ?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Be interested to see what was your solution ?
Don't hold your breath as that post was 9 months old and Jim hasn't posted since.

(Just hope he's not still stuck on the hard shoulder. :lmao: )

There's lots of info on autoboxes if you do a search, but the bottom line is that there's not much you can do yourself, other than a fluid change.

Good luck. :Cool2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
anyone no why cc on the 2.2 elegance turns its self off then only gears i get are 2 and 5 this only hapens when car is warmed up gears are all fine till this happens i need to stop for few min then carry on all ok then it cuts off again ??? 03 plate
changed fluid macks no diff you had any luck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.