Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
Ive had success on here with last post so thought I would run this past you.

On start up im hearing a chuff / chug air noise. This only happens at point of ignition and car runs fine after with no sound. Ive tried to find the noise and dont see anything. Ive also noticed a bit of a lagg. The turbo use to kick in earlier than what it does now. Not sure if its connected but recently Ive cleaned EGR and manifold / removed swirl flaps. Had blank plate in, though took it out thinking this may have been causing problem, but still getting issues.
Can anyone tell me what may be causing the chuff chug noise on start up

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I would have a look around the turbo an a joining hoses for holes an splits....could be arounf the brke servo...i would check for ir leaks from air filter to inlet manifold...all the wa through.....especially from turbo to engine...job to say...Fred.

·
Super Moderator
28,341 Posts
Was the EGR valve causing problems?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for getting back to me. The egr was fine before. I had head off changed gasgets and new rocker bolts. Had a broken rocker in first place.

Ive went around the car with washing up liquid looking for bubbles and sprayed stuff around all joints i can see listning for idel change and do not hear anything.
The noise I can hear is only at start up. Ignition point thers like three huffs chugs then starts. Sounds airy ... Just sounds different from before I changed head.
G4vvq I will try later today and check around again.
Would a smoke test help ?
Also would removing the swirl flaps cause this. ?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there one thing comes to mind, i assume this is a diesel, as you speak about swirl flaps, as far as i know you dont have those on petrols...do you think when it was put back together there could be a slight leak around and injector base or heater plug...sort of compression leak..just a thought...Fred.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes its 19cdti vectra. When rebuilding had to replace copper rings injector seals. So all looks good there I did have a bit of a blow out on no 2. but new seals sorted that. Glow plugs are secure as far as I can see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing that may help. I was towing a boat with the car yesterday. Got to a pretty steep hill. On going up hill the revs dropped in 2nd so went to 1st thinking it would pick up and lost revs in first. Came to a stop. Had to do a hill start with high revs to get the boat up the hill. Clutch didnt like this. Could smell it. The car used to pull fine on this hill. So under load it killed the power at low end revs. When not under load car seems ok just that the turbo doesnt kick in as quick. It now closer to 3000 revs before I feel it. Used to be around 2000

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Yes Turbo's are funny things they work off the speed of the exhaust gasses going through the primary side to wind them up, so at low engine speeds they dont do a lot the way i see it...but apart from that i would have thought you would have had enough power to pull the boat up a hill lol....diesel engines are pretty powerful things....Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Check the VNT actuation solenoid, and the valve itself.

This works on vacuum, there is a 3-4mm diameter pipe between the two which can perish and crack, this would likely be the hiss as its losing suction and very likely why there is no power low down

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M32Guy. Do you think replacing the manifold with new flaps may sort it. Il check vnt actuation solenoid. Where is this located. May be a newbee question sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts