Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas what could be causing a very slight high speed steering wobble.

the steering wheel wobbles a bit at about 70-80mph... my thinking was that suspension bushes may just be worn and its just a bit loose up front.

alignment was done a few months ago so tracking is fine.

anything else worth considering?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
wheel balancing....? or steering rack?

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
i still got it, using me other car at teh mo, gonna get under it to see if owt is worn. mine is a light wobble, then every so often a violent period where it nearly whips the wheel out me hand. i stop the car and i can drive again with the light wheel wobble. took it to the garage as was sure it was cvs, but they took them off and they were fine.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Change the wheels round (put the spare on each of the front wheels in turn) to try to eliminate wheel balance from the list. See if that changes the symptoms.

·
22,199 Posts
I get this wobble at about 60mph, plus it wobbles and pulls all over the shop when braking...my balance is spot on, had new brake disks and pads and it still does it...wishbones next, as ive been told that can cause this problem.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as i say its definatelt not wheel balancing.. as that was just done literally last week.

the problem is unchanged before and after. its not a sever wobble.. and the car remains fairly steady up to its top speed :) it just would be nice to cure it.. give me a more relaxing drive

·
member no 88
1,736 Posts
shrink said:
any ideas what could be causing a very slight high speed steering wobble.

the steering wheel wobbles a bit at about 70-80mph... my thinking was that suspension bushes may just be worn and its just a bit loose up front.

alignment was done a few months ago so tracking is fine.

anything else worth considering?

is the wobble only there between 70-80mph? ie if your doing 60 mph its ok, and if you take it up to 90 mph its ok?

alignment would only cause the car to pull to the side (left or right)
i think this is defo a balance problem
did you not say to me before that you only needed 1 tyre as you spare was brand new? if this is the case was you spare balanced before it was fitted to the car

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no i ended up fitting two brand new tyres.. so both front wheels came off the car.. and were fitted balanced up etc by the same guy that did my wheel alignment.

the wobbling is mild at 70-80 and stays pretty much the same up beyond 90 etc. as i say its not bad or anything.. just takes some of the relaxation out of motorway driving.

the guy at the alignment place also thought maybe the bushes could be worn.. hence making the wheels a little loose.

·
member no 88
1,736 Posts
shrink said:
no i ended up fitting two brand new tyres.. so both front wheels came off the car.. and were fitted balanced up etc by the same guy that did my wheel alignment.

the wobbling is mild at 70-80 and stays pretty much the same up beyond 90 etc. as i say its not bad or anything.. just takes some of the relaxation out of motorway driving.

the guy at the alignment place also thought maybe the bushes could be worn.. hence making the wheels a little loose.

mmm. i think it sounds like a balance problem,, but its defo worth getting the wishbone bushes looked at to rule them out

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could balancing (which is what.. tiny little weights on the wheels) really cause that much steering wheel wobble?

also the wobbling feels a little worse when i try to brake from high speed.

and no its not a warped disc... cos firstly ive checked them out... and secondly theres no shuddering through the brake pedal or any other part of the car as you would expect with a warped disc (that and the fact the brakes aint being used when driving along hehe)

but the fact that they cause it to shudder a bit worse again makes me thing of bushes being worn

·
22,199 Posts
shrink said:
could balancing (which is what.. tiny little weights on the wheels) really cause that much steering wheel wobble?

also the wobbling feels a little worse when i try to brake from high speed
Yes...you want to try driving a car woith NO balance weights...thats a fecking nightmare.

Also, i get that wobble when braking from high speed...does it pull the steering wheel left or right or abit of both?...replace your wishbones, thats next on my list...then strut top mounts and bearing and maybe track-rod ends.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Are your tyres indicated rotational in one direction.? If so, are they fitted on the right sides of the car?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts