Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anybody out there able to give some advice.Hope to be taking the Vectra in to find out what is wrong with the steering.I know it needs new shocks but other things seem to be involved and i'd like an idea before it goes in.The steering feels sloppy ,it seems to wander off when you go round corners and it is hard to park in tight places as you seem to loose where the wheels are going. get clunk or boing[spring] sort of noise on passenger side when turning on full lock. Any ideas what it might be and garage prices[NOT VAUXHALL!!!!!!!]Any help greatly appreciated.

G

·
Expect shocks would improve most of that to be honest.
A guess would be £100+ for 2 new front shocks, and £100+ to fit them.
Is fairly time consuming, although straight-forward enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[COLOR="black"]thanks for that. i saw on another thread about bouncing the corners one at a time . what are you supposed to feel if your shocks are broken?[/COLOR]

G

·
Well, new shocks you'll struggle to push down an inch, be very firm.
Worn ones will be easy, and bounce once or twice.
If yours are worn, will be like a new car once changed. I've had 8 Vauxs, and always changed the shockers straight away.
For fast bends on dual carriageways you'll be able to go much faster, much safer too. With worn shocks you have all that weight bouncing all over the place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm, sounds like you have a few problems there!! Firstly how do you know it needs new shocks ?? have you been told this or is it by a bounce test?? Sorry to ask this question just trying to establish how much mechanical knowledge you have dont want to teach you how to suck eggs lol. Ok it is possible the spring/bong you are hearing on full lock may by a broken coil spring have you checked these?? it will contribute to a spongy ride! As for your weird steering likely cause is one of two possibilitys no1 not so likely...... you may have both front bottom arms shot, loads of wear in these makes the steering pretty horrible (fingers crossed it is the answer though) or no2..... steering rack is shot, have you checked the power steering fluid level?? How many miles has it done? Sorry for so many questions just trying to help as much as poss. Good luck with it mate

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
if it has a broken spring this can cause the steering to feel heavy as the spring could be digging in under the inner wing & when you try to turn 1 way the spring will be pushing against you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Worn lower arm suspension bushes is the first thing that leaps out at me in this case.
However the other guys have mentioned other things that could well be contributing to your fault also.
G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts