Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Steering Feels funny Meriva 2009

3K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  NER 
#1 ·
Hi, so the car front wheels seem to have a mind of their own, they follow any groves within the road, today i have also noticed inner Tyre wear on the drivers side do you think the wheel alignment is out?
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Wheel
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Auto part

See less See more
#32 ·
You can see the triangles without removing the wheel if you remove the cowling around the steering wheel.

#36 ·
They should line up.
Be careful turning the wheel if you disconnect the lower shaft because you could snap the clock spring in the CIM if you turn it too far one way.
I would disconnect the lower shaft rotate it carefully in the correct direction so you equalise the clock spring then line up the arrows and reattach the shaft.
Or just take the steering wheel off and refit it. I couldn't get mine off so don't know if there is a master spine or not.

#37 ·
Many thanks for your time, think i am going to go for steering wheel removal, hopefully will be ok as its been off once before, so it looks like they never put it back properly, does your l;ine up all ok with steering wheel straight ?

#38 ·
It does now.
Took me ages to get the track rod lengths the same, the wheel centred with the arrows aligned up and the EPS calibrated correctly.

If it still pulls or feels odd you need to check the lower wishbones because worn rear bushes can cause a lot of wheel movement when being driven. Both of mine were badly damaged but could only be seen with the wishbones removed.

#40 ·
It houses the steering angle sensor,
on the ZF system it's input is used together with vehicle speed to adjust the amount of steering assistance

#44 · (Edited)
ok so going to align the CIM to align the 2 triangles and then run op com

so i have to disconnect the battery for 30 mins
remove the airbag (which has been out before!)
remove the steering wheel and align up the two markers - by turning the CIM? in pic i can see outer but cant see inner mark
refit steering wheel and airbag
reconnect battery and run op com to calibrate?

Found a good video on how to line it up, what are the symptoms if this is not line up correcly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.