Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, so took both wheels off and check everything all i could really find what that the steering rack trackend had a cleaned up part and had a green paint marking - which now makes me think it has had a second hand steering rack fitted? what you think?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Spots of paint are often used during manufacture as an indication that a quality check has been completed on critical components.
You must get the mechanical side of things right before you do the electrical side of things.
So, have you checked the two track rods to make sure they are the same length?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ok so track end rods look the same on each side, so back to the steering wheel not being straight when driving have to hold is say 1 o clock, and also when turning left the indicators does come off unles like full lock is used, so maybe the steering wheel has not been refitted correct? and this is causing the issues? so maybe its time to take the steering wheel off and check its aligned?

·
12,710 Posts
Split it at the universal joint lower down rather than disturb the steering wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So what i have done is to set the steering wheel is the same position that it needs to be in when driving straight,(wheel look straight 2) and then re calibrated the EPS this time the Torque Sensor 1 and 2 did change from 2.45 & 2.51 original settings to 2.43 2.53 and commanded motor, drive Torque & Steering wheel are now all zero. It does drive much better going to see how it feels this week and then either refit the steering wheel or as you said adjust at the universal joint lower down, and it does appear to have a re manufactured steering column, which explains why the steering wheel has been off. thinking it just was not put back and aligned/calibrated :)

·
12,710 Posts
The reason I suggested splitting it at the universal joint is because I found it impossible to get my steering wheel off, even using the Greek god Brutus Forcus Maximus and a large puller with a lump hammer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
so steering is better, other than when turning sharp left the car seems to slide into the corner, like its on ice of something oversteering?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So how does the EPS work, if the steering wheel is on as it should be can this confused the EPS and in fact its over steering that is causing the car to feel like its slipping on turning left?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So this weekend going to take the steering wheel off and see if its been put back on not aligned - but i do have a question regarding op-com calibration... as i read i need to ensure i "Move the center rotor of the CIM to align the 2 triangles" is this something on the steering column itself?

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
There are two triangle markings on the CIM that need to be aligned,
there's one on the case that says re-centre (fixed point)
and the other is on the centre (moveable point)

·
12,710 Posts
You can see the triangles without removing the wheel if you remove the cowling around the steering wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There are two triangle markings on the CIM that need to be aligned,
there's one on the case that says re-centre (fixed point)
and the other is on the centre (moveable point)
Thanks what is the CIM

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
This is the CIM
s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So i did what Koicarpkeeper suggested and can see the triangle, if i line them up the steering wheel is upside down and if i put the steering wheel left the marker is not seen, if i got this correct?
1.jpg

·
12,710 Posts
They should line up.
Be careful turning the wheel if you disconnect the lower shaft because you could snap the clock spring in the CIM if you turn it too far one way.
I would disconnect the lower shaft rotate it carefully in the correct direction so you equalise the clock spring then line up the arrows and reattach the shaft.
Or just take the steering wheel off and refit it. I couldn't get mine off so don't know if there is a master spine or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
They should line up.
Be careful turning the wheel if you disconnect the lower shaft because you could snap the clock spring in the CIM if you turn it too far one way.
I would disconnect the lower shaft rotate it carefully in the correct direction so you equalise the clock spring then line up the arrows and reattach the shaft.
Or just take the steering wheel off and refit it. I couldn't get mine off so don't know if there is a master spine or not.
Many thanks for your time, think i am going to go for steering wheel removal, hopefully will be ok as its been off once before, so it looks like they never put it back properly, does your l;ine up all ok with steering wheel straight ?

·
12,710 Posts
It does now.
Took me ages to get the track rod lengths the same, the wheel centred with the arrows aligned up and the EPS calibrated correctly.

If it still pulls or feels odd you need to check the lower wishbones because worn rear bushes can cause a lot of wheel movement when being driven. Both of mine were badly damaged but could only be seen with the wishbones removed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It does now.
Took me ages to get the track rod lengths the same, the wheel centred with the arrows aligned up and the EPS calibrated correctly.

If it still pulls or feels odd you need to check the lower wishbones because worn rear bushes can cause a lot of wheel movement when being driven. Both of mine were badly damaged but could only be seen with the wishbones removed.
Ok thanks so what does this CIM do in regards to the steering itself?

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
It houses the steering angle sensor,
on the ZF system it's input is used together with vehicle speed to adjust the amount of steering assistance

21 - 40 of 43 Posts