Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tire explode on the motorway the other day (don't buy pirellis btw.....) and thus fitted the spare wheel. I have those crappy 15 inch alloys found on preface vectra sris, and actually much preferred the look of the steel spare under the lowered bodywork. Looked kinda retro stock?

Looked about but I can't find any vaux 5 stud steels over 15 inch. do saab or any other maker provide big steels that I can fit on my vectra? They would look sweet in 16 or 17, glossy black with wideboy tires on.

cheers!
Jimbob

afterthought: vec c steels?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
My granda's Zafira B has a full size steel spare wheel 16", not a crappy space saver either

·
Cavweb T Shirt Seller
2,767 Posts
I've got a whole set of 16" 5 spoke steels (with matching "Structure" wheel covers) that came off an Astra - 5 stud ET37 so yes they do exist.

·
Degenerated!!
2,540 Posts
Jimbo, get the 15" steels banded out for the retro look. It's not legal but fuggin wide rubber on steels looks hawt :cool:

Not a Vx but they look so damned cool!

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Jimbo, get the 15" steels banded out for the retro look. It's not legal but fuggin wide rubber on steels looks hawt :cool:

Not a Vx but they look so damned cool!
Not sure if you read Practical Classics, but one of the staff writers has a W123 saloon, which he has recently completed an engine transplant from a rotten W126 into, he has created the awsome 560E. Anyway, he has gone for banded wheels, and done it legally.

If an engineering firm has the welding qualification Lloyds Gas Certificate One, it's above board as long as you declare it to your insurer.

James

·
Degenerated!!
2,540 Posts
I know Matt from PC through Mercedes W123 circles and regulary talk to him, we're currently trying to find my LA Wires a home...

There has been many a great discussion over the fact that cutting open a standard steel rim and welding in a section is taking away the OEM standards of the wheel and a lot of insurers won't touch them buuuuuut... where there is a will, there is a way...

And yes Matt's Merc is nearly bankrupting him....

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
I know Matt from PC through Mercedes W123 circles and regulary talk to him, we're currently trying to find my LA Wires a home...

There has been many a great discussion over the fact that cutting open a standard steel rim and welding in a section is taking away the OEM standards of the wheel and a lot of insurers won't touch them buuuuuut... where there is a will, there is a way...

And yes Matt's Merc is nearly bankrupting him....
Let him know from me that I think his car is Awesome!! I love the W123 series (used to own a 1978 200, 4 speed manual in white). I have thought on a few occasions of getting another one as they really are the last real Mercedes.

If his 560 ever comes up for sale, I'd love to know :).

James

·
Degenerated!!
2,540 Posts
Let him know from me that I think his car is Awesome!! I love the W123 series (used to own a 1978 200, 4 speed manual in white). I have thought on a few occasions of getting another one as they really are the last real Mercedes.

If his 560 ever comes up for sale, I'd love to know :).

James
I'll let him know for you, James. It might be sooner than you think too!

·
Degenerated!!
2,540 Posts
And I now have a price. If you were to part with £8k you'd have a truly spectacular and one off Mercedes W123 5.5L V8. It has had easily double that spent on it to get it where it is today.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Blimey, a bargain for the work he has done on it!. If I had 8K I'd jump at the chance, problem is, if I sold the Jag, that'd realise around 1.5K tops!!.

Having read with interest the articles on this conversion, you can really see the time and effort that's been put into this conversion.

Hope it finds a worthy hom if he does decide to sell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts