Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my astra wont start from cold, unless i keep the ignition turning for about 3 minutes. i ahve changed the glowplug relay & still no joy. can anyone help?:shame:

·
Registered
23 Posts
problem is your leak off pipes mate, very common problem they go to your injectors, they are leaking so air is getting into the system and so your diesel is draining back to the tank, when you crank your engine for 3 minutes its is cranking ti back up, if it starts up perfect once you suddenly turn it off its deffo them, if it does not it cud be your injector seals. Want more info give me a email :Cool2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried glow plugs

i've tried changing the glow plugs just to try and eliminate the obvious. you mentions the send & return diesel pipes & the injector seals. could you give me some more info? i'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. cheers:rolleyes: stu

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Your car will start without the glowplugs working, it just takes a little longer.

I agree with Paul about the leakoff (or spill) pipes. You will see some rubber tubing going to each injector (they are *really* injector crossovers, not injectors), these are linked together with plastic 'T' pieces (3 in all) returning excess fuel back to the injector pump fuel supply.

1m of pipe and 3 'T' pieces costs about £20 from a Vx dealer and pretty straightforward to replace.

If the leakoff pipes don't sort things then, like Paul said, it could be the injector seals. This is a common fault but a little more involved - it involves taking the rocker cover off, removing the camshaft and fitting new seals between the injector crossover pipe and the injector itself. If you're going to tackle this then for the sake of a few quid, replace the O'ring on the injector crossovers and also the copper sealing washer on the end of the injector too.
If you scribe a mark on the cam and the sprocket and tie it back securely while doing the work, you can get it all back together without buying a timing/locking kit (~£100 on eBay).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wish me luck

i've looked at about 4 different forums & this problem seems to be very common. thanks for the very good advice. booked in today for the work & with any luck i'll be replying next time with good news. cheers again, stu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doom & Glooom

:cry: SEEMS IT HAS ENDED UP BEING THE DIESEL PUMP. MECHANIC HAS REMOVED UNIT & TESTED IT. SO THE NEXT QUESTION IS GOING TO BE.....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A PUMP FROM AT A REASONABLE PRICE????:cry:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
To begin with, you will need the number from the pump. Usually the last 4 digits are enough to identify it, I'll guess that yours is 0470504003?

Diesel Bob Tuning recently quoted me £500 for a reconditioned pump with 12months unlimited mileage guarantee. Sounded fairly reasonable to me :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts