Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an Astra 1.7dti 04 plate & it seems to be burning the starters every few months. Anyone know what may be the problem?

·
Worn Out Member
6,573 Posts
It could be the ignition switch,we always used to change the starter ans switch as a pair when i worked at a dealer

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Reactions: Valer

·
Registered
169 Posts
Personally I'd be checking the earths for corrosion as well. A bad path to earth will cause excessive heat

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Yeah ignition switch spring sticking at position 3 and not moving back to position 2 as it should meaning the starter is still engaged whilst driving causing it to burn out

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there Starter motors dont keep burning out lol....either there rubbish starters or the engine is too stiff to turn, or the ignition switch is faulty..when the engine is running does the starter disengage all right?....have you tested the battery?...are ll the connections ok...is it the correct starter motor, that would be my approach...from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there Starter motors dont keep burning out lol....either there rubbish starters or the engine is too stiff to turn, or the ignition switch is faulty..when the engine is running does the starter disengage all right?....have you tested the battery?...are ll the connections ok...is it the correct starter motor, that would be my approach...from Fred in Essex.
I've just put a new battery, alternator & earth strap on it at the same time as I put my last starter in. Got a new one today again & it's getting fitted tomorrow along with the ignition switch. The man that fixes my cars has checked everything else that could've been possibilities of causing it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah ignition switch spring sticking at position 3 and not moving back to position 2 as it should meaning the starter is still engaged whilst driving causing it to burn out
Got one today bud, getting fitted tomorrow along with another starter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi bud, put a new starter on the car & an ignition switch too. It's still making a wining noise wen it starts like before. Do u have any advice on wether to leave it run and hope it doesn't do it again for a long time lol or check anything else that could be causing the wining noise?

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Is there any chance you could make some kind of recording and put on here, i cant use the think most people use on here, cant remember what s called now, but i cant get it to work lol, but U tube is ok, or just an audio file...Fred.

·
Super Moderator
26,975 Posts
Shouldn't be making a whining noise that's a sign the starter isn't disengaging quick enough . Had that happen when the crap from my disintegrating flywheel started to get thrown up into the starter motor making it slow to pull the rotor shaft back once engine fired up .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shouldn't be making a whining noise that's a sign the starter isn't disengaging quick enough . Had that happen when the crap from my disintegrating flywheel started to get thrown up into the starter motor making it slow to pull the rotor shaft back once engine fired up .
How do I fix that Fred? I notice 2 starter motors ago that the cogs on the starter had little bits of them, I presume that's the bits your meaning?

·
Super Moderator
26,975 Posts
How do I fix that Fred? I notice 2 starter motors ago that the cogs on the starter had little bits of them, I presume that's the bits your meaning?
Yes , maybe it's gearbox off time .

·
3,073 Posts
I hope the small wire on the starter is not touching the positive somewhere that will keep the bendix on... what is the fault with previous 2? The actual motor or something else?

I am not excluding here bad starter remanufacture as is not really such as new. I had to replace 5 starters on one car because of this in less then 6 months, the last put on is there since 2 years ago... if we talk about a diesel engine the brush bridge seems to be very week and colapses hence i am asking since is 15£ part to make the starter back to life.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Could be the starter relay stuck in, why not arrange it so you can pull the energizing wire of the starter when it starts up, or pull the starter relay out...Fred in Essex.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts