Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought a Cav MK3 2.0 8v and it's brilliant apart from one slightly annoying problem.

Everytime the car is started, either from hot, warm or cold, it won't start unless you put your foot on the throttle. Also, if you take your foot off straight away, the engine cuts out.

However, if you keep your foot on the throttle for a few seconds, the engine will go to stall, but it will then pick up ok.

Apart from this, it runs perfectly, and fuel economy is excellent.

Is there anything I can check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
hmmmm with it being an older engine I don't know if they would have the same problems as ecotec's but, it sounds like maybe the idle valve could do with cleaning out? Also, try the air filter, and definetely the fuel filter. Has she got enough petrol in?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
return fuel line, fuel filter as said. i have thesame problem, just havent gotten round to sorting it yet.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
it is the idle valve , my old 2.0 gli was the same , take it off & clean it out with carb cleaner , its the round thing on the front of the inlet manifold with 2 pipes connected to it & a wiring plug.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
it is the idle valve , my old 2.0 gli was the same , take it off & clean it out with carb cleaner , its the round thing on the front of the inlet manifold with 2 pipes connected to it & a wiring plug.
does it look like a mini bucket?

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
no not really , this is only on the injection & correct me if i`m wrong but i think you could be on about the swirl chamber on the carb models ( sat between the fuel pump & the carb).

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
no not really , this is only on the injection & correct me if i`m wrong but i think you could be on about the swirl chamber on the carb models ( sat between the fuel pump & the carb).
Aye, think thats it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.