Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate of mine has a 97 Corsa 1.2 which is due to go for it's NCT (mot) on Thursday.

However the speedo is not working! It is the electronic driven type. He says the instruments consists of just speedo, fuel and temp gauge, there is no rev counter.

There is no EM light showing so I am guessing the problem is at the clock, not at the box but I could be wrong.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem might be?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you tampered with stereo wires at the back recently cause I put a Sony headunit in 1 of my Vectras years ago and wanted to get the lights working on the steering wheel. I thought I'd found the connection for it sent a feed to it and hey presto the speedo stopped working

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Hi. Sounds like its the speed sensor on gearbox thats no longer working.
They are a simple screw in sensor, cheap to buy and easy to fit. Before it finally stopped working did it work on / off for a while.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
If you are lucky, the MOT tester won't notice. as long as the mileage has gone up since last time. They only roll them onto the brake tester, and it doesn't go fast enough to work the speedo.

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi. Sounds like its the speed sensor on gearbox thats no longer working.
They are a simple screw in sensor, cheap to buy and easy to fit. Before it finally stopped working did it work on / off for a while.
Ain't got a clue how it stopped. Does the speed sensor not send a signal to the ECU as well? There is no EM light showing!

If you are lucky, the MOT tester won't notice. as long as the mileage has gone up since last time. They only roll them onto the brake tester, and it doesn't go fast enough to work the speedo.
Unfortunately it's not an MOT but an NCT so it will be spotted!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I was going to say..My R11 had a sheared off speedo drive in the autobox..I took it for MOT and explained..the tester laughed and said "not an item that we test anyway - it doesn't have to work.".

I ended up using a bicycle digital speedo thingy acting on the back wheel to tell my speed..

They never seem to pay attention to the mileage..when I changed my Rover from "normal dash" to a full blown digi dash, it went from 25000 miles to about 2000..and the guy just said "nice dash mate", and signed it off. I explained about the mileage as well, just in case.

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a thought...does the EM light come on with the ignition? Just a thought..bulb might have failed?
Yep and drives fine! If the ECU was not receiving a speed signal then the ECU should put the car into limp mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.