Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know much bout cars so here goes, i have an m reg cav 2ltr 16v ecotec, for past 6 months it has been cutting off, thought it was idle control valve so cleaned that, no difference, last week i lost all compression and car was hunting, was told to change sparks and leads, when i took cover off to get to sparks i noticed that only bout 1mm of plug is visible above loads of oil, do i scrap the car or is it only small thing? was told it could be rocker cover gasket and breather pipes, please help

·
Back in the saddle... with a big feck off van.
1,972 Posts
The oil problem is 99% definitely the rocker cover gasket - half hour job to sort out, and the replacement gasket is not expensive. As for the cutting out, if you check in the Vectra How 2 section, there's a thread about that by ChrisSri. It's again quite an easy fix that you can do on your own for a couple of quid if you're reasonably practical. The ICV is part of the problem, but the real solution lies in cleaning out a tiny breather pipe in the throttle body. As for the lack of compression, that could be a head gasket, so get a compression test.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
When doing the main rocker gasket please also get the o'rings for the bolts as well. These also stop oil getting places where it shouldn't be. They tend to get hard with the heat of the engine. Another thing is when you replace the gasket, get some sealant as well to go around it. They are notorious for leaking unless you do this as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've removed the black cover that's over sparks, taken 10 bolts out of top o cover but got stuck then, tried to lift it off but it's soooo stuck, what am i doin wrong?

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
have you took the breather pipes off it aswell?one on the front one on the back,if so just take the oil filer cap off and give it a tug.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive just done this myself and can tell you, its an easy job.

Ive made a wee helping picture for you

Remove all bolts (as arrowed above)
All pipes (as arrowed above - one at front, two at rear)
Unplug Camshaft sensor (under spark plug cover - to the left - use a screw driver to pinch the clip in and release the wire)
Remove plug leads from plugs.
Carefully un clip the cable/wire running along the left hand edge of the rocker cover. (it can be very brittle so be careful)
Remove whole rocker cover (use a rubber mallet GENTLY if needed)

You will be left with this

Remove old gasket and compare with new one.
Remove old O rings around the underside of all bolt holes
Use some rags or an air line to clear old oil out of plug wells (dont let it fall into combustion chamber by removing plugs)

All clean and ready to be refitted

Fit new gasket (use some sealant around the 'half moon' shaped parts)

Fit new O rings.
Fitting is reverse of removal.

Hope this helps :Cool2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
wow im glad i came across this thread today , as ive just came across the same problem with my cav gls, i was going to ask the local garage how much the'd charge me to do this, but it sure looks a hell of alot easyer than i ever thought !
just one question thou, do the bolts have to be tightend to a certain amount? or just untill there tight and not going to go any where?
one more thing, have had a problem for some time now with tick over, and have slowly narrowed it down to a sensor prob, could you tell me what the cable/wire running along the left hand edge of the rocker cover is ? as mine is looking is , well lets just say, aint in good condition from there down to the front of the engine !
many thanks for your help !!

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
tighten them by hand till tight then give them a 1\4 turn more

there are two leads over the top the one that goes into the camcover is the lead to the cam sensor the other is for the crank sensor

·
"Below!"
1,144 Posts
could you tell me what the cable/wire running along the left hand edge of the rocker cover is ?
The cable that runs around the profile of the cam cover on the left is the crank sensor. Are you getting an engine management light? If so, do the paper clip test (use the forum search facility on the top menu bar to find out how to do this)

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
The oil problem is 99% definitely the rocker cover gasket - half hour job to sort out, and the replacement gasket is not expensive. As for the cutting out, if you check in the Vectra How 2 section, there's a thread about that by ChrisSri. It's again quite an easy fix that you can do on your own for a couple of quid if you're reasonably practical. The ICV is part of the problem, but the real solution lies in cleaning out a tiny breather pipe in the throttle body. As for the lack of compression, that could be a head gasket, so get a compression test.
Absolutely, cleaning the IACV and throttle body is only half the solution... untill the throttle body to rocker cover breather is unblocked it'll still generally be a bit lumpy. The junction bolt where the breather goes throught he coolant hose will always be clogged solid with ****, drilling out the **** makes a massive difference.

Rocker cover wise, the bolts should be tightened down in athe proper sequence. ie... don't beast them tight as fook one at a time, work round them gradually tightening them down to it seals nice and flat in a uniform manor. Plus less chance of cracking the plastic rocker cover that way too. Also worth fitting a fire box to the front breather to collect all the ****.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The cable that runs around the profile of the cam cover on the left is the crank sensor. Are you getting an engine management light? If so, do the paper clip test (use the forum search facility on the top menu bar to find out how to do this)

well good ish news, i managed to replace the rocker cover gasket, and also replaced the plugs with nice shiny ones ha, and have noticed a big differance, but i still have the problem of it wont keep on tick over 90% of the time without my right foot helping it out !! and my car still judders while keeping any constant speed, but if i put my foot millimeter by milimeter or even straight to the floor then things are perfect again and it pulls nice and hard ! which isnt ideal if driving throu towns or speed limits !! plus i have to keep the revs up all the time which makes breaking and comming to a stop a little bit of an arse at times ! but since doin the gasket and plugs things has got better but still not great !
so i done the paper clip test and came up with the codes 73 (Mass air flow temperature) and 92 Camshaft sensor - incorrect signal !!
the mass air flow thingy im guessing will have to be a new one !?? which is easy as to change over (for me anyway) ! but im guessing the cam sensor is going to be a totaly differant ball game !???
all i want is my dam car to run like it should be !!! help pleaseeeeee as this is sure driving me nuts lol

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
It's pretty straight forward changing the camshaft sensor...

1. Remove airbox assembly to give you room
2. Take off spark plug cover and disconnect the wiring for the cam sensor (left side by the timing belt)
3. Slacken off the aux belt tensioner and remove the belt so you can take off the cambelt casing
4. After removing the cambelt casing, undo the holding bolt for the cam sensor (it's the bolt directly between and under the camshaft sprockets between the two, from memory it's a torx bolt)
5. The camshaft sensor can then come up and through the top where the wiring plugged into. Replace, and put everything back together.

You can get the sensor from Autovaux.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi there lsi, thankyou for replying mate, i went out this morning and pulled the connection to the cam sensor that goes into the rocker cover and i sprayed some wd40 on it, thing is i could see little bits sparking !! is this normal? as the ignition was off ! or is this a sighn of a defantly buggerd cam sensor??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.