Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the 'Spanner' light come on today, on our 1.6 '03 Zafira Elegance. I was overtaking at the time, in third (don't ask), and wondered if I'd hit the rev limiter (assuming the Zaf' engine has one). Car then felt as though it was running on reduced power.

I pulled over, switched off, and restarted no problem and the light remained off. Car felt fine and we carried on without incident.

Driving back this afternoon it did the same thing only I was doing a steady 50 and not under heavy load. Same thing - switch off - restart - unlit.

Is this anything to worry about? Might I have damaged something? Worth taking it to the dealer?

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
The spanner light is telling you there is a fault with the engine or transmission electronics and the car goes into limp home mode - hence why it felt like it was running on reduced power.

The fault code is stored temporarily, and only if the light has been on for more than a few seconds. After 25 to 30 clean start ups (ie, 25 or 30 turns of the igniton key with no further faults) then the fault code is erased.

Could well be the early signs of a dodgy sensor, but ultimately you will need to get the fault code read out the next time the light comes on to know which sensor it is.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Take it to an independant and get the fault code read.
FWIW your description is exactly what happened to our vectra the first time the crankshaft sensor failed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. Our nearest Vauxhall garage is 15 miles away so I'll have a chat with them when I go into town next week.

Last time we had a light come on (emissions/cat due to faulty coil pack) they charged me £30+vat to stick a Tech2 on it, which showed nothing!

The car performed flawlessly on a 1000+ mile run down to England and back last weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts