Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vectra 2.2 direct petrol Z22YH

Problem: When started from cold, sounding like a diesel under the bonnet, then when revved it will cut out, the engine will not rev over 1500rpm before cutting out. Car will start straight back up but runs rough. Therefore car is not drivable. It was juddering before but once warmed up it would be fine. But under acceleration it would lose all power at 4000rpm and once or twice it through a misfire. Could this be the injectors? Timing chain? Oil levels are fine although oil smelling like petrol.

Any help/replies would be appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any eml? has it the continental High pressure fuel pump or the old Siemens one under the bonnet?

The little light under fuel gauge came on briefly, after switch off and on it went, the one in the revs didn’t and it didn’t go into limp mode. The engine fuel pump got fitted around 3 months ago, it was a continental to continental swap. The inner fuel pump was changed around 6 months ago, both maf sensors have been changed ( think there’s 2). Apart of me is thinking it is timing belt but then I’m thinking fuel system. I had second hand injectors fitted (am thinking it’s this) but if it is why does it sound like a diesel?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also there has been a strong smell of petrol in the cabin, when heaters have been on last 2 times there has been a squeaking noise from passenger side front, just seem one problem leads to another and I can’t figure that f they are all linked :-S

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
first thing is to read the codes , although by what you are saying I wouldn't be surprised if it is timing related .

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
the z22yh has timing chain. I know as I got mine done for peace of mind as planning to keep my vectra for a few years. never had any issues apart from slight rattle on start but soon the tensioner kicked in.

the fact it smells of fuel in the cabin suggests it is something fuel related. there shouldn't be this smell in the cabin. the hpfp was the cause of many z22yh issues and 5% of the time was the regulator (from research I've done).

the chain is on the drivers side. if it has lacked regular oil changes the chain can wear quicker and she may have jumped a tooth. it would cause irregular running issues and crappy mpg. any more than 2 teeth she'll be running like crap and possibly an unusual noise as you're describing. take a video and I'll compare it to mine.

again I'd get the engine scanned before spending any more cash. if you've seen an orange light come on then something will be scanned.

running issues could be anything from a dodgy coil pack right through to the swirl flaps on this car. scanning will point you in a better direction.

come back and let us know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the z22yh has timing chain. I know as I got mine done for peace of mind as planning to keep my vectra for a few years. never had any issues apart from slight rattle on start but soon the tensioner kicked in.

the fact it smells of fuel in the cabin suggests it is something fuel related. there shouldn't be this smell in the cabin. the hpfp was the cause of many z22yh issues and 5% of the time was the regulator (from research I've done).

the chain is on the drivers side. if it has lacked regular oil changes the chain can wear quicker and she may have jumped a tooth. it would cause irregular running issues and crappy mpg. any more than 2 teeth she'll be running like crap and possibly an unusual noise as you're describing. take a video and I'll compare it to mine.

again I'd get the engine scanned before spending any more cash. if you've seen an orange light come on then something will be scanned.

running issues could be anything from a dodgy coil pack right through to the swirl flaps on this car. scanning will point you in a better direction.

come back and let us know.

Thanks for that! You’ve hit the nail on the head, crappy fuel consumption, went down from 37mpg to 17/18mpg. I will take a video tomorrow! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
town chugging I get 25 to 28mpg. long run around 40mpg.

when my old vectra b timing was out as she'd jumped a tooth I had tapping under the bonnet and hesitant and awful mpg. the garage rang me up and said God knows how she survived but she did.

my z22yh chain and balance kit fitted was just under 400 quid.

why did you change the hpfp and injectors etc. was it just elimination purposes?

have you had the car long?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest I’ve wanted a Vectra Sri longer than I’ve had it, currently had it around 10 months. Firstly had it around 6 weeks and it went into limp mode at 50mph on a dual carriage way, pulled out from a wagon in 5th put foot down and it went, took it to mechanic he said coil pack, so that was changed. Ran ok ish for around 200 miles then limp mode again, so another coil pack went on, then the injectors was replaced around 500 miles later, car went into limp mode again (think this mechanic having me on so went to another). He checked the voltage on fuel sensor and pressure of fuel pump, it was a bar down on pressure. So hpfp was changed, along with sensors, pump in the tank. Now this. Am dreading finding out the issue as it’s a money pit!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
get someone to remove the timing area so the cogs can be looked at and give an answer for if it is the timing.

failing this may need to bite the bullet and take it to somewhere with a good machine for live data.

apart from the hpfp and regulator issue.... oh and the dreaded M32 box the car is a good one. the older z22se engines had issues with the timing chain oil nossle causing them to snap as not enough oil was getting to the chain. predominantly due to lack of oil changes and causing the nossle to get blocked. it was revised however irregular oil changes will cause issues for every car that has a chain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get someone to remove the timing area so the cogs can be looked at and give an answer for if it is the timing.

failing this may need to bite the bullet and take it to somewhere with a good machine for live data.

apart from the hpfp and regulator issue.... oh and the dreaded M32 box the car is a good one. the older z22se engines had issues with the timing chain oil nossle causing them to snap as not enough oil was getting to the chain. predominantly due to lack of oil changes and causing the nossle to get blocked. it was revised however irregular oil changes will cause issues for every car that has a chain.
Yeah that makes sense, I’ve read and heard of uprating the oil feed to chain, I topped up oil around 500 miles ago as it was a little on the low side, could a full service rectify it? I’m going to make and upload a video shortly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m trying to upload videos but it’s saying they are too large? One is around a minute long and the other is 40 seconds, is there a way around this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts