Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start up the car and drive away I can hear this squeaky gurgling noise coming from in front of the instrument panel as the revs rise. Kind of sounds like there is a nest of young birds there twittering away. :shake

Now I have looked and there is not a nest there! I have also checked the coolant level and it is also fine.

The water pump and thermostat were changed two weeks ago and this noise has been there ever since.

I took it that there may be an airlock in the system so i ran the engine with the cap off the header tank. I got a couple of bubbles rising but nothing major. I have even tried this with the heaters on full blast so as to make sure the coolant had full circulation.

Anyone any ideas on either what might be causing this noise of how to solve it?

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
Cambelt cover on too tight, and belt catching it.? Worth checking.

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so as I have listened to it from under the bonnet and there is not a sound from the cover. It is more in the bulkhead area. The last time I heard it was when it was low on coolant!

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
Was the water pump that was fitted new or Second hand?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
i would say water pump without a doubt we had the same and when the head was worked on the water pump fell to pieces as it was removed
turned out the bearings were what was making the noise

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Could it be something to do with the heater matrix then? If it's coming from the bulkhead...?

Getting coolant in the passenger footwell?

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it be something to do with the heater matrix then? If it's coming from the bulkhead...?

Getting coolant in the passenger footwell?
This is what I was thinking. No coolant in the footwells - not that I can see anyway!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like air in the cooling system run it up to operating temp with the cap removed and until the fan kicks in then rev it a bit constant revs at about 1500 not large amounts this should get rid of any air. Keep the system topped up. if you are happy all air is out let cool down a bit and top up.

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
other thing i do is run the engine upto temp then get a rag and squeeze the top hose a few times, done this on my cav when i changed the rad and the heating wouldnt work, works fine now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts