Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems i fix one thing then sumit else goes wrong i was at the traffic lights just now and my cav almost cut out on idle runs ok but seems now when i cum to stop its ok for about 1o secs then it starts almost cutting out and idle dying down ....it hasnt cut out yet !!!.................am starting to hate cavs :shame:

anyone any ideas

·
Registered
448 Posts
As said above if its an Ecotech engine its a good bet the idle control valve needs taking out, cleaning and lubricating. There are a couple of How2 guides on here if you do a search.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
nope, it'll be a C18NZ no doubt.
Davey, best off getting a new rocker gasket, popping the rocker cover off, and replacing the guaze in the oil breather - solved alot of my idling issues.

If you need a hand, drop me a PM, not too far away from you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did just change the rocker cover and it was full of s**t i did clean it out as best i could but i rekon u r right my friend.....thanks for the offer mind iam gratefull but ill manage my self ..........maybe in the future for bigger jobs ill drop u a pm...........joke:D

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
seems i fix one thing then sumit else goes wrong i was at the traffic lights just now and my cav almost cut out on idle runs ok but seems now when i cum to stop its ok for about 1o secs then it starts almost cutting out and idle dying down ....it hasnt cut out yet !!!.................am starting to hate cavs :shame:

anyone any ideas
That's the joy of owning a cav mate! Had a Black V6 - replaced a leaking fuel tank, so one of the valves in the aircon system let go. Fixed that, and the handbrake stopped working. Fixed that and the immobiliser gave up! So I bought another V6, had to replace the brakes, then the baffles went in the exhaust. Fixed that and the rear shocks popped. Fixed them and then sold it before anything else could go wrong!

Idle problem does sound familiar on a cavalier though. Is there not still an ICV on the 1800 engine?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it started to chug on the way to work yesterday and nearly cut out it got me to work on the way back home it was ok ............................ill have a look at it over the weekend !!

sounds like cavs are money pits...............:crying_2:

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
i did just change the rocker cover and it was full of s**t i did clean it out as best i could but i rekon u r right my friend.....thanks for the offer mind iam gratefull but ill manage my self ..........maybe in the future for bigger jobs ill drop u a pm...........joke:D

did you remove anf reoplace the guaze in the "lump" in the rocker cover though?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i didnt replace the gauze norr clean out the pipes ..........but will do it over the weekend .........what kinda gauze do u use ??? and what can i use to clean out the pipes ??

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
no i didnt replace the gauze norr clean out the pipes ..........but will do it over the weekend .........what kinda gauze do u use ??? and what can i use to clean out the pipes ??
replace the guaze - halfords sell it for a few quid best take the old one with you to make sure you get the right one :)

As for cleaning the pipes used the sink :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts