Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've done around 15,000 since new clutch, csc / dmf, etc was fitted and bled it again after a clutch master cylinder change and car has been sweet for last 15,000.

Jumps in this morning to pedal travelling halfway down and biting right at the floor. So basically drove it 30 miles using the rev count at 2,000 to change up and 3,000 to change down without the clutch.

On checking brake fluid reservior, I noticed it was between MIN / MAX so the brake pad wear has let fluid drop so I'm assuming it's starved clutch master / slave cylinders of fluid???

No fluid leaking anywhere from cmc / csc..

Anyways, connects and easy bleed with around 20psi in tyre, reservior and easybleed bottle filled up at MAX with fluid, unscrews bleed valve on bell housing, no fluid coming out.

I can unscrew it completely and still no fluid when system is pressurised?

Any ideas how to get pressure back in clutch before I scrap it as I don't know why there's no fluid getting through.

Pumping the pedal does nothing, even with master cylinder full, can't pump any pressure on clutch pedal?

Any ideas guys?

·
15,401 Posts
Failed clutch hose?

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
15,401 Posts
Do you not have a flexi hose going to the gearbox housing where it joins to the CSC?

Could also be a failed clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I think there is. New Clutch Master Cylinder from ECP back in April, wasn't cheap.. only done just over 10,000. If I reverse bleed it with the easybleed, fluid should bubble up through the master cylinder if all OK? otherwise, check flexi? thanks

·
15,401 Posts
If you reverse bleed it and nothing comes out in the master cylinder I would be fairly happy condeming the flexi pipe.

Reactions: bar72

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for confirming. I'll give it a go tomorrow if the rain can hold off ;)

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. tried bleeding forward and back. forward I have easilybleed connected just under 2 bar and I get the odd puff of air at bleed nipple. back bleed and pressure at clutch pedal but no bubbling at master cylinder, although air bubbles do appear, just not fluid spraying everywhere? removed flexi from csc and when i press and release pedal I can hear air whooshing in both directions. any ideas? thanks

·
3,079 Posts
Press the clutch pedal....

Reactions: bar72

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
starting to think it's the master cylinder as I can't get any fluid moving down or back up. reverse bleed is just a couple of bubbles at brake fluid reservior. Just 'cause it's new doesn't mean it's working ;) After looking at what's available on the used car market, taking into account all the work I've done to it (brakes / suspension /gbox rebuild / new flywheel / clutch, I'm gonna take a gamble and let the garage have a shot at it. Also noticed fluid leaking from bell housing / engine around 3 month ago and though nothing off it but that may even be the csc leaking. Anyways, I'll update when I get it back as garage is busy so can't get it in until next week sometime.

·
If you want to save fuel buy a Camel & a shovel
350 Posts
Are you sure you clutch pedal is right up. If not it will not let fluid through as it will have started its travel. The pedal must be right up.

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes mate, even held pedal up with a bungee onto steering wheel to make sure fluid was getting through ;)

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've dropped it off now at the garage that fitted the clutch, 15,000 back. said to fit new cmc and if that not problem, open up bell housing and check csc. getting to old for lying under cars in the street now

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so the new FTE master cylinder lasted 9 months. Same again, pedal dropping to floor. Fitted a replacement 2nd hand GM one today (18/06/20) and all good again, wondering if pattern products are a waste of time now?

·
Premium Member
16,282 Posts
Pattern parts are often rubbish. Been there, done that with slave cylinders, I now try to stick with genuine parts where possible and if not I always try to find out who makes them for gm then get one direct from them.

·
3,079 Posts
Hi, yes as above try to avoid patern ones if possible, use good makes that gm uses if not...

Not sure with mk5 but on mk4 i used twice on different cars Luk repset 3piece kit with no issues and outlasted the rest of cars life.

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not that I'm penny pinching, as in, GM vs pattern, it's doing the job. Houdini would struggle getting the top left bulkhead nut out ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts