Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Springy greetings from Finland! First of all I already apologise all my miss spellings and non senses. I've been driving all kinds of Vauhall's (Opel's) for years and just couple weeks ago I bought my first diesel and I'm already little bit stuck with the fuel system bleeding at the moment.

The car is year 2005 Astra mk5 wagon, X17DTH. It got rescebtable 280000 miles on the clock. Believe it or not but I am the second owner of that car and it was running just great when I got it. Last winter the previous owner had had some starting problems with cold engine: it will start, run for 5 seconds or so and then just shut off. After that you need to crank it up couple times and it will run again. After that she will behave just fine until next morning. He thought it was just a immobiliser problem, and changed the key and it startet to work like champ again. It worked just fine about for a week with me and then started to do the same thing again. I found out that this had nothing to do with the key - it felt like it was getting air the fuel line when it was standing little bit longer.

I changed the fuel filter, no significant improvement. I thought it would make no harm to clean up the EGR. She has really good maintance history but this was never done before for those miles... And oh boy, there and also in intake maindold were a lot of oily dirt. I wasn't able to just look away so I took the intake manifold out too and gave it a good cleaning and over night bath in clean diesel. After that I put everything back together, changed the oil, coolant and started to crank her up, but nothing happened.

I've been trying to get that fuel system to bleed with couple re-charged batteries (means lot of cranking...), couple kilometres of push starting (it does not even try to start, there is immobiliser signal on the dash), been filling up the fuel filter and the lines, trying some easy start spray (I got it running for couple seconds with that, but it just doesn't feel very good for the car to try this more...). It is just not getting the fuel line to bleed. I can hear blurring sound just after cranking from fuel pump, it sounds like it's trying to get rid of the air. But still, it's not running.

The only error code I am getting and which stays present is P0190-11 Rail Pressure Sensor High Voltage. It's telling the same code even with the rail sensor plug off. Is it just the sensor which is broken, or can it be reading this code because there is not enough pressure in the line? When I was taking the intake manifold off, I gave the sensor couple turns just over the tightening nut. Is the sensor supposed to let this happen or will it fail?

Thank you very much for any answers and help, I'm starting to be stuck in my garage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick answer! I am using cheap ebay OP COM. Yes it got some live data functions. I was able to see data from egr, boost etc when it was running, but big fat nothing about fuel pressure. Any idea what I should try?

·
Premium Member
15,213 Posts
When you look at live data does the rail pressure sensor show a voltage... One other thing before you start, it is possible on the 1.9 diesel to plug the rail sensor in around the wrong way, not sure if you can do it on the 1.7 but check the plug is not on the wrong way around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, my bad. I need to check the live data again, what should be the normal voltage? I checked the plug today, there is little studs in both side of it, so it might be possible to plug it in wrong way, even it feels like it will sit properly only in one way... Do you know does that kind of sensor fail if you turn it couple rounds from the plug part the tightening nut is still in place? I did not remove it from the rail, but I unfortunately gave it couple spins before I took the intake manifold off...

·
Premium Member
15,213 Posts
Well its looking like you may have damaged it, the normal voltage is about 1V with Ignition On.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. So it should not be able to turn the sensor at all from plug part, while it is attached? I think, I need to remove the rail again so I can check the sensor properly. It is in pretty tight space, not too much room in that Astra's motor bay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked the sensor this morning, it really feels like the plug will sit just in one way. Is it possible that the P0190-11 Rail Pressure Sensor High Voltage fault code is present just because there is not pressure enought in the rail, or is it just straight signal of faulty sensor which I should replace straight away?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really haven't found that live data section yet in OP COM. This is my first Vauxhall which needs to be diagnosed by fault codes, so I'm learning new stuff all the time. The OP COM is ebay 1.45 version, do I get in that live data section with this tool, do you have any idea? There is one section which says "rail pressure sensor replaced, reset" or something like that, but that leads nothing...

·
Premium Member
15,213 Posts
Once you have connected Opcom,choose Year, Then Astra, then Engine then the engine code Z17DTH, this will take you to the Engine Ident page, a white box with all the ecu software data, ident code etc,etc on it, on the right of this box are some buttons, Fault Code is at the top. this is obviously to look at and delete any stored faults, below that is a button marked Measuring Blocks, if you click on this then on the next page there should be a option for Diagnostic data list 1 and 2 i think, click on any of these buttons and it will open another page with all the sensor live data, just click the 'next' button at the bottom right of the screen to scroll through the pages of live data.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brilliant, I can't go wrong with that guide, thank you! I can get to the car tomorrow evening, I will check the live data and I'll let you know what it says. So I am aiming to about 1v with ignition on, everything much lower or higher ain't good and I will just order new sensor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With your guide it was piece of cake. The voltage was 4,96 when its plugged in, 4,98 when the plug is loose. That's way too high right? So it must be the rail pressure sensor which is faulty I think? Where do you find all those right sensor values Andy? With those and OP COM data you could do kinda accurate diagnoses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you mates, she is running again. Ordered used rail pressure sensor from UK, little bit more cranking and it run's like champ. There was no need for excess bleeding, it looks like the pump will do the trick themself, it just takes some time and you need have all the sensor's checked haha. I don't know how healty this is for the fuel pump, but my car seem's to be fine at the moment. Take care and have nice spring time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.