Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did all this in my T5 but the memory is dimming. I've got cable from the panel to the controller but can't for the life of me remember whether I used the same cable to the leisure battery or some other twin wire I've got lots left over from before. I think it may have been for connecting up the battery to the fuse box. Not bothering with a split charge this time as it's only for a fridge and lights when travelling to and from Portugal.
Any tips welcome.
PS. Windows going in both sliders next week so then i can get a move on with other things. Might remove the top of the bulkhead and leave the bottom.
Bought some nice blue Altro foor covering and waiting on Veltrim velour carpet too.
Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
A friend at work put a 200w set up in his van with a controller etc,it cost several hundred pounds and gives him about 2 amp on a sunny day.
It maintains his battery just about where it is with the lights,12v tv etc he uses.
It seemed like a lot of expense for very little benefit in my eyes.
I went down the split charge route (which you are not going to do )
My alternator is about a 150 amp battery charger ,already built into the van.
I went to world superbikes last summer for 4 days and nights,
I only ran my van on tick over once ,for about half an hour and my leisure battery was good again.
My musings would be,
2 leisure batteries ,split charge,then,
1 leisure battery with split charge
Solar panel , waste of cash
But everybody specs their van differently.
I appreciate I'm not really offering any input for your dilemma ,
Just praising the split charge system,which I know you already are aware

·
Registered
37 Posts
My van also has a fully carpeted bottom half bulkhead with the top half removed.
It was what I wanted initially and works well for me ,as I like the separation from the front half.
However,after using it quite a few times ,I will be removing it completely for a swivel base for my twin front passenger seats.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kratos,
My 80w panel gave out 3.8amps and the whole kit cost about £65. Just bought the same panel for this van.
I'm nearly ready to move to Portugal and can't see me wild camping when I'm there. I did it for a month 2 years ago and loved it, no parking charges, stay next to the beach and no yellow lines.
I had a swivel base in the YT5 and used it twice, nearly £300 so a bit of a waste for me so this time a minimal conversion so it can be a van as well. I did find the T5 was cramped inside and more so with the bed down and Evomotion furniture down the side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Portugal in the summer,next to the beach,,sounds idyllic mate ,
Your route sounds credible now with sunny climes and almost wall to wall sunshine plus hook up.👍👍
My mates under performs so much cos hes trying to get usable power from it in the middle of a blighty summer ,which as we know isn't too much sunshine 😂

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove down to Portugal twice last year, can't stay away and even here I got good power from the Panel so maybe his was a bit faulty.
When the windows go in and the rain stops I'll get a move on and book the ferry. The front room is full of bits and pieces.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
2 amp out of 200w panel does sound a bit low. Panels tend to be a good way to run a compressor fridge without draining the battery right down.

If you're just running led lighting you don't need a lot of juice. I've got an ickle 40ah car battery in mine which runs about 8W worth of leds plus water pump, fans, soundbar and USB chargers. It lasts a while and doesn't take much time for the split charger to get it back up. I mostly wild camp so it gets topped up every few days.

As for wiring work out the max amps the controller will pump out and use whatever cable is rated a bit higher.

Portugal sounds amazing. I miss getting to Europe, this country is so hostile to wild camping.

If it were me I'd put in a cheap split charge unit just to make sure you arrive topped up. Going against my own advice I know - It won't be perfect on the newer vans but it will be enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was a "professional" install in a 17 plate van,
I think the 1 or 2 hours sunshine he got was the fault lol
It couldn't really achieved the stated outputs on the days he was away.
That's not going to be an issue where you're going tho 👍

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm torn on the split charge, I have the panel here and at least before my next trip I'm keeping it simple, running a CRX50 and some lights. Quite a bit to do to make it comfortable by then.
I only did a few trips to sites with hook-ups in UK and for found Portugal to be so easy and relaxed. The problem was many "campers" were actually coaches and I think some locals were getting fed up with their parking being taken over by them next to the beaches.
I'm told I have a smart alternator so may look at the kits on offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts