Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My astra suddenly went off with a weird noise while I'm ordering food via drive thru
I tried starting the car multiple times and I just hear an annoying noise car not starting by doing research and asking around It seems that my car's timing belt snapped

would there be a severe damage on the engine?

Please enlighten me as this is my first ever car and I dont know much about it, actually zero knowledge with cars
Thanks in advance Sirs!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
It might help if you told us what engine is in the car!
Sorry, just spotted it's in the heading. No doubt someone will be along who will know.

·
Worn Out Member
6,186 Posts
And probably best to check it is the belt snapped and not something else

·
Registered
65 Posts
When a timing belt goes DO NOT try to start the engine this can cause more damage as the belt controls the interaction between the valves and pistons inside the block. If it's snapped you risk the pistons smashing into the valves causing more damage.....

Replacement is no Futher damage would be a belt and pulleys with a water pump minimum although I'd want the head checking along with the valves so I'd opt for a head gasket too if there was no damage anywhere else.

Never had to have one replaced (touch wood) but it's what o know can happen of the belt snaps hope it helps

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
There you are!
Fire & Valer are aways spot on with their advice.
The next thing is to get someone who knows what they are doing to check it out for you (if you can't do it yourself).
If you are thinking about having a go yourself, buy yourself a Haynes manual, and read about the job first! This might be the one you need:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Sgtsmiffy,

Thank you for educating me so My engine is really busted now is that right?
Even if the car was on parked gear?
Also were there cases like this that all needed done is to replace the timing belt?

right now my car is parked there at mcdonalds...

Thanks again Jedi Masters

·
Registered
65 Posts
The issue is when you tried to restart it..... Get it recovered to a garage you can trust and get it looked at....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again

So we are 100% certain that my engine is severely damaged in short broken?
Yes? So I'd know what to expect

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would assume so but a garage can tell you for sure unless anyone else may know

·
Premium Member
14,178 Posts
Thanks again

So we are 100% certain that my engine is severely damaged in short broken?
Yes? So I'd know what to expect
As you were told, if its a 1.6 16v engine then yes it will be damaged,.. if its a 1.6 8v engine very unlikely to be damaged,.. cant really be any clearer than that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts