Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

First time posting on here.

Last night I discovered that there was a generous amount of steam seeping out of the bonnet.
When I lifted it up, I found that the coolant tank was almost empty and that there was a hose that had snapped off the engine, which I've attached in the post.
The hose runs from the left hand side of the engine (facing the windscreen) and follows around the back of the bay until it reaches the coolant tank.

The hose is intact along with the spring-clip but the attachment has snapped away from the engine.

1) what is the hose called?
2) what is the attachment called? Can you buy them seperstely or buy the hose with the attachment?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine code: Z 14 XEP
Year: 2006

Ive managed to get the part out. It's made of plastic and I've heard that it's a common fault with Vauxhall and that they replace them with brass ones instead.

It's a shame it's Sunday as I could have had it done today, if shops weren't shut!

Attachments

·
I refuse to grow up.
15,992 Posts
Ahh yes that little bugger. Part number is 55564351 make sure though! Also make sure the replacement is brass not plastic. A bit fiddly to get the old bit out, but sometimes they do come easily enough, just be careful not to damage the threads in the waterpump housing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that! :)
Yeah it was a bugger to get out! The threading of the water pump housing seems to be ok. The plastic end ended up crumbling away.
Thanks for the help and advice!

·
I refuse to grow up.
15,992 Posts
One little tip and I have had to do this before. IF on the off chance you get a slight leak when you refit the brass spigot pipe, some gas PTFE tape or a bit of plumbers sealing compound will cure the bugger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One little tip and I have had to do this before. IF on the off chance you get a slight leak when you refit the brass spigot pipe, some gas PTFE tape or a bit of plumbers sealing compound will cure the bugger.
One last question: Would it be best retapping the thread? Apparently the brass thread is thicker than the plastic one.

·
I refuse to grow up.
15,992 Posts
I never had to, but I think it is like that on purpose to help seal the new one going in. They are usually slightly tapered too, in effect the sort of recut the threads a bit (brass is harder than zinc/aluminium alloy) Just make sure the threads are clean and you should be good to go and for christ's sake dont overtighten the bloody thing. I seen someone do just that and cracked the waterpump body!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha! I'll be sure to keep screw it in just right!

Thanks for the advice and information. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully if I can pick up the part tomorrow it'll be back on the road!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never had to, but I think it is like that on purpose to help seal the new one going in. They are usually slightly tapered too, in effect the sort of recut the threads a bit (brass is harder than zinc/aluminium alloy) Just make sure the threads are clean and you should be good to go and for christ's sake dont overtighten the bloody thing. I seen someone do just that and cracked the waterpump body!
I'm sorry that it's been a week since I said I'd get back to you on how the connector went. It was fitted on Monday night but it didn't go quite as planned...
I was struggling to line up the piece with the hole and my girlfriend decided to step in - what a mistake that was!
She lost the piece in the engine bay and I ended up looking for it for a good hour and half! Eventually it was refitted. It's been okay ever since.

Thanks for your advice too - (I asked my girlfriends parent's to pick up the piece on my behalf) they were told to tap the piece with a hammer into the water pump... I can see that ending in a disaster.

·
I refuse to grow up.
15,992 Posts
Great news. Tap the brass threaded fitting into the already threaded hole in the water pump? Why? LOL that is why there are threads! Silly people. Well done for not listening to them is all I can say. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.