Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after hearing a little bit of what sounded like a an exhaust blow I decided to take the heat sheild off my manifold (Ecotec) and see what exactly was going on.

On the face of it there seems to have been two bolts snapped at the cam belt side of the engine (I may have done the underneath one, or it may already have been that way - but it only fell out when I tried to tighted it). The top one looks to have something with a flat headed screw fitted and doesn't look loose, but I daren't touch it too much.

There's only a little blowing at the moment, which you can hardly hear, but I'm wondering after reading a few threads on here - what are the chances of snapping more studs if I take the manifold off and how easy do they tend to come out?

I'm guessing they'll only be pennies from VX, but the idea of leaving it the way it is now is annoying me and the idea of creating more damage, to an extent the head may have to come off is scaring me at the moment - I'm totally unsure as of what to do and will this be picked up in an MOT in a few months time?

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Manifold studs are easily snapped broken im afraid and can be a bstard to get out. and yeah the chances are it will fail an MOT for it as the exhaust is leaking. deends on how strict your testing station is tho, no doubt some places would cast a blindeye. did you snap the first two or were they snapped?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The top one must have been already snapped - not exactly sure what it has in it. The bottom left one - I'm not sure about, I checked it to see if it was tight and it wasn't, a couple of turns which seemed very free and it fell out.

C

·
0 Posts
If they snap off you can pull the manifold off and out the way. If some of the stud is sticking out then you can just wind them out. If not, may need an easy out, or dremel a groove and screwdriver out etc etc.

·
22,199 Posts
3 of mine snapped when i had my new manifold fitted...luckily, my garage has all the tool's to drill out the snapped studs and re-tap the threads...if they hadnt, the head would have had to be sent away.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
counter lock 2 nuts onto the stud and then just remove it like a bolt. If it snaps, then you will need an easy out extractor. Not a whole world of pain really.

·
Premium Member
5,296 Posts
my manifold is blowing due to a crack on the top of it and i myself was dreading taking the manifold of untill a freind of mine said he could weld it for me:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still haven't done this, I'm just building up the courage - but from anyone who has - do you have to remove the radiator to get a drill in?

Just space seems a bit limited and I want to know all I can before I start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts