1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
It's your cat , meeow .

·
8,417 Posts
Honest it's your cat . Catalytic convertor ;)

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
yes it's where you put the water in for the radiator a big plastic tank on the passenger side of the engine bay,the in car heating run's off the cooling system,just keep an eye on the water levelin that tank if it's going down you have leak.

·
8,417 Posts
Cat smell on start up or when putting boot down is nothing to worry about .
Welcome to Vxon .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does sound like its your Catalytic convertor which is part off your exhaust
haa -- it's just been to the MOT and there is a mention in the refusal note that the rear exhaust has a mounting that does not fully support the exhaust system... could it be so that something has gone wrong when they have "put" it right? or is this "cat" in the front of the car?

·
8,417 Posts
Cat is not at rear of exhaust , cat is at front of exhaust yes .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes it's where you put the water in for the radiator a big plastic tank on the passenger side of the engine bay,the in car heating run's off the cooling system,just keep an eye on the water levelin that tank if it's going down you have leak.
hey, this is something I know about!! :D Never open this when engine is hot eih?!! phew, I think i'M CLEVER blonde now. but seriously, if I go to my car in the morning and if the water level in this particular "tank" is below minimum line, can I fill it to the line when the engine is cold? or does it need to warm so that it is "expanded" if you know what I mean.... hmm...water don't expand does it....:shame:

·
Turbo Power...
7,477 Posts
haa -- it's just been to the MOT and there is a mention in the refusal note that the rear exhaust has a mounting that does not fully support the exhaust system... could it be so that something has gone wrong when they have "put" it right? or is this "cat" in the front of the car?
The Cats at the front off the car.

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
it will have a line around the tank with the word cold or kalt on it < german for cold.just top it up to that line if it need's any.and yes you can top it up when it's cold.

did you just start getting this smell after they did the work on it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it will have a line around the tank with the word cold or kalt on it < german for cold.just top it up to that line if it need's any.and yes you can top it up when it's cold.

did you just start getting this smell after they did the work on it?
I only bought the car on the 22 Dec and it went to the MOT straight away. It had been standing for nearly a year and hasn't had any tlc for a long long time poor thing. I didn't really drive the car before it came out from the MOT but I have noticed the smell being there every time when I start the engine, and thinking about it I think it has been a bit stronger when it's been colder -- outs, but that might be ofcourse cause I've been "fanning" in harder then...:shame:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.