Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
It would be best to flush it all through just to be safe as it will build up else where some time soon (fingers crossed it doesn't block the system)

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no sludge in the oil cap or dipstick. I used ready mixed 50/50 OAT coolant in August and also flushed the whole system.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
The sludge is a light brown, pinky colour by looks of it, i would have the coolant checked for traces of oil to rule out headgasket leak if you used a premixed coolant.
There are other possibilities such as the last flush loosened some old debri build up and it's risen to the top of the tank over the last few months or traces of old coolant have mixed with the new.

just be cautious as oil is lighter than water and will find its way to the top if there is a small headgasket leak.
Try another flush until the system runs clear, refill and keep an eye on it would be the only advice unless you can confirm the headgasket is at fault.

·
Super Moderator
27,809 Posts
The sludge is a light brown, pinky colour by looks of it, i would have the coolant checked for traces of oil to rule out headgasket leak if you used a premixed coolant.
There are other possibilities such as the last flush loosened some old debri build up and it's risen to the top of the tank over the last few months or traces of old coolant have mixed with the new.

just be cautious as oil is lighter than water and will find its way to the top if there is a small headgasket leak.
Try another flush until the system runs clear, refill and keep an eye on it would be the only advice unless you can confirm the headgasket is at fault.
If it was oil I'm sure it would be looking very black like when my oil cooler failed in my old DTI Astra estate .

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, quick update, the last couple of days I have been loosing coolant very slowly. Turns out the waterpump was failing and coolant leaking through the centre of the waterpump.
FullSizeRendercvc.jpg IMG_7039.JPG

Got a new waterpump fitted yesterday and all seems welll for now.

Thanks for all your help.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
COOLANT LEAKING AGAIN!
Hey guys, it seems like coolant is leaking again from the new waterpump?
It's been just over a month and coolant level is dropping very slowly. Water pump area looks wet and seems like the waterpump pulley is flicking coolant in a straight line (please see pics attached). The garage that fitted the waterpump bought it from Eurocarparts.
Am I right in thinking I will need a new waterpump? Is there anything else that could leak?
If so, this time I will get a Genuine GM waterpump. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Once again many thanks for all your input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I know some pumps leak when first installed as it's a way of lubricating the internal seal. Which should stop when the engine has been up to temperature a few times (throw the weep hole). If a garage fitted it I'd take it back for them to have a look as it could be a faulty pump or sealer they used keeping the pump from sitting in correctly against the block.

·
3,073 Posts
looks very odd to me... lofty has a point but not that sure in your case... as for sludge looks to me that your ready mixed that you put in done its job... cleaned the crap from your system. People tend not to change the coolant and only test it... if before you said you flushed the system the antifreeze was very old and especially mixed with hard water the limescale... was at home and now the new antifreeze eats it up by dislocating it of engine block, thermostat, radiator and especially hoses...

I always advice when changing water pumps, thermostats and radiators the owner to keep a daily watch on the coolant level for 2 reasons: first regardless of bleeding the system some air will still be trapped for a few warm up to temperature and cool off cycles, second in case of a leak.... i replaced on one of my cars the water pump last Sunday as was starting to have some small play and a very tiny leak, was 2 years since i changed the coolant also so done it... water pump and coolant... all fine for 3 days to work and back and some motorway runs... Thursday new pump fitted after under 200 miles started to leak slightly worse then the old one... what was the job today? you guessed done the water pump again... not really happy...

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Might sound a silly question but was there a gasket with the new pump? Not unheard of for people to buy a new pump for just a gasket then return the pump and it's put back on the shelf for sale so to speak.
Might be worth ringing the garage to find out and tell them your not happy as it's leaking

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.