Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cornholio
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....about some engine issues i'm currently having. Last weekend my coolant level had dropped to about half way, so i topped it up to the Max mark, but now it's gone back down. I also topped up my oil last weekend because it had dropped below the Min. mark :eh Admittedly i hadn't checked it in about a month, but why would it drop down so much?? Would the cold weather help it to burn more oil? And finally, i still have the horrible scratching noise on start up when its cold. I got it this morning, but i was late for work so didn't have time to pull the fuse to the secondary air pump to test if it was that.

So basically i'm abit worried that something is close to it's death in my engine and i don't want anything to go bang. Any idea's?

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Any emulsification?

Is the engine running much hotter than normal?

Any visible water leaks from around that metal pipe running down the offside bank?

Scratching noise could be the aux belt tensioner, mine does something similar, and I think mines on its way out....

HTH,

James.

·
Registered
318 Posts
1st thing I would say to check is for visible drips under the car which I guess you have done and not found anything? Do you notice any excessive smoke from it burning oil?

·
Cornholio
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No visible water leaks as of yet, but i'll keep an ey on things to see if they get worse. I wouldn't say the engine's running hotter than normal, but i think it may be warming up slightly quicker than it usually does (e.g. getting to 90 degree's on a cold morning quicker than usual).

As for the aux belt tensioner, how can i test it/see if it's dying? Is it straight forward to swap?

Cheers James :Cool2:

*EDIT* Eighth - Ever since i've had the car i thought that it smoked abit, but i put that down to it being A.) Cold weather and B.) A Big engine. So i suppose i haven't got anything to compare it with. I'm going to have a really good look around the engine bay this sunday and look for any water/oil leaks. I'll also have a look at the aux belt tensioner.....

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Well, easiest way is to rmeove the aux drive belt when cold, and see if that makes a difference. I'm doing my passenger side cam cover gasket at some point this weekend, probably sunday, so if you wanted to pop over we can quickly whip the belt off and check the tensioner...

The Omega will produce a lot of white smoke, apparently this is normal, my V6 produces quite a bit of the stuff, always has done.

HTH,

James.

·
Cornholio
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a plan! Passenger side cover hey...sounds like fun lol

Would we be able to check the tensioner once the engines warm though? Would it be visibly worn do you think?

Good news about the smoke, i thought it may be normal :Cool2:

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

I'll PM you my address :). Doing at mine as it'll save you having the potential of an Omega sat in your garage come monday morning :).

The tensioner, basically we can remove the belt, take the tensioner off and see if it sounds knackered. When Stewart and I did my cambelt, I noticed mine sounded quite bearingey (if that makes sense). You can replace just the roller itself, and not have to goto the expense of the tensioner.

Cheers,

James.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hmmm passenger side cam cover gasket may well be worth having a lookie see whats involved with that, as I'll probably have to do it at some point and it's always worth seeing how it's done with someone else struggling though it 1st. Not that I'm saying you'll struggle James but who knows what it'll throw up!

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hi,

Yeah pop over, I'll PM you both in a bit with the details of when I'm doing it, but it'll be sunday.

Yes, I am looking forward to it, ohh I am. I have the wishbones down to a T now, my drivers side involved minimal fuss and was all done in two hours, with experience gleened from the passenger side.

James.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts