Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any dealings with SKF cambelt kits. I ordered a kit for my 2.5 V6 and half expected a Gates one but this has arrived. It looks well made etc and consists of the carrier with two pulleys fitted and an additional one in a separate bag. There are three new bolts and a "powergrip" belt.
I am just curious as to whether it is decent gear.

Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Donnow about the cambelt kit, but back in the old days SKF were top make for bearings, up there with the likes of Timken etc. Generally I would go with anything SKF, but in this case I suggest that the wiser people comment regarding this specific V6 kit.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think Gates just do the belts - all the kits seem to have SKF rollers.

The rollers I took off were SKF and the kit I got from Autovaux was marked SKF.

R

·
0 Posts
Darryl, SKF make the bearings. They are as good as they get. SKF make the original ones for Vauxhall and Ford if I am not mistaken.

The ones on mine are SKF also, so don't worry, they are good.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
It's probably exactly the same as a Vxl ki, i.e. the kits go along a production line.... then split off.. one to Vxl and one into a general box, and the Vxl box costs a lot more :lmao:

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I have just bought a genuine Vx cambelt kit, and it has got skf written on the rollers/tensioners...

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Genuine pulleys/tensioners are made by SKF and genuine belts are made by Gates (they will have GM or Delco stamped on them though) So yes, good quality kit.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I've used one - its exactly the same as the gates just a different box - anyway they make the rollers for vauxhall.

The only difference between them is the belt - the aftermarket ones are more maluable and easier to fit and have both markings on them for the later timing belt design (Model year 1999 onwards)

Darryl Flynn said:
Has anyone had any dealings with SKF cambelt kits. I ordered a kit for my 2.5 V6 and half expected a Gates one but this has arrived. It looks well made etc and consists of the carrier with two pulleys fitted and an additional one in a separate bag. There are three new bolts and a "powergrip" belt.
I am just curious as to whether it is decent gear.

Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
52 Posts
just to let you guys know there is a bad batch of cambelt kits about at the moment a friend has just changed 3 since last may and i have just changed 2 with the top tensioner roller faulty and they are skf ones , i might get a gates set and put it on i have a 2.6 vectra b they are vx genuine parts too so be carefull
ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts