Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was hoping a few technically minded people might be able to help me with some thoughts regarding the replacement of a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) for a Single Mass Flywheel (SMF).

My car is a 2005 Zafira Elegance 2.0 DTI, fitted with the Y20DTH Engine and F23 Manual Gearbox.

I bought it for £1,000 last August and it's currently clocking in at 105,000 miles. It has more than a handful of irritating faults which I am prepared to live with as it's a second car and mostly used for longer runs or when shifting stuff about.

The clutch has recently started to slip and I suspect the DMF is also worn by the rattle and shudder that I get when taking up drive.

I am aware of the dangers of fitting an SMF, but hope that the risk is reduced due to earlier Y20DTH engines having this setup (as far as I have read that is).

I picked up a cheap second hand flywheel (GM part no. R90502914) which was previously fitted to an Astra with the earlier Y20DTH engine, gearbox unknown (see thumbnails below).

I have read some forum posts that suggest fitting the earlier SMF is possible, but that the bell housing on vehicles fitted with DMFs is slightly longer to accommodate the wider flywheel.

Some suggest fitting a spacer behind the Concentric Slave Cylinder (CSC) to take up the difference, as the ram of the release bearing can leak/pop out and won't fully act on the clutch pressure plate otherwise. It was mentioned somewhere that this difference was around 15mm, but I don't know if that's accurate.

I assume the clutch friction disc will need to be the same as fitted to the earlier Y20DTH Astra (i.e. with dampening springs), but would the input shaft splines on the gearbox be the same?

Do the dimensions of the clutch pressure plate and friction plate differ between gearboxes/flywheels or are these common?

Did the earlier engines have dampened crankshaft pulleys to compensate?

Does anyone know the dimensions of the SMF vs the DMF? I have struggled to find this information from online parts catalogues.

The second hand flywheel is in good visual condition, but do you recommend having it balanced?

It would be simpler if I bought a Valeo Solid Flywheel Kit, but I really don't want to go to the expense given the low residual value of the vehicle. The Valeo SMF kit part number is 835049 or with the CSC 845049 for reference.

Any thoughts or experience regarding the above would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Dan.

Screenshot_20180825-092931.png Screenshot_20180825-092935.png Screenshot_20180825-092939.png

·
3,073 Posts
as far as i know is not a dual mass on zafira A.... or astra g and parts are identical for all 2.0dti... I attached a snap of the parts with manual gearbox.... for auto is a flexplate...

zafira a.jpg

as for size... i cannot tell as i do not have one around... anymore... a full clutch kit of 4 pieces from LUK or DMR should be far cheaper i do not thing you need to go valeo...

i think this will suffice... double check with the seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Vectra-Clutch-Kit-for-2-0L-DTi-Dual-Mass-Conversion-Solid-Flywheel-CSC/172708429658?hash=item2836397f5a:g:PTAAAOSwAwVbyVQ7:rk:17:pf:0

First cause for flywheel going bad fast is under revving... but you probably know that... and usually when chasing the flywheel a 4 pc set is to put in to avoid problem like yours later...

if you scrool down on the above link you will find a comp table and a parts size table...

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the fast reply N871BUD.

I really hope it is a SMF, but whenever I search for clutch parts against my registration I always get the "for engines with dual-mass flywheel" quotes.

I've just found this webpage which although I can't understand (Spanish?), gives pretty decent photos and appears to be showing a DMF to SMF replacement.

That link to DMR clutch is very very cheap. The feedback is surprisingly good too, which can't be said for all resellers of these types of kit...

My intention is to replace all relevant parts while the gearbox is out, as it's such a big job.

Dan.

·
3,073 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply N871BUD.

It really hope it is a SMF, but whenever I search for clutch parts against my registration I always get the "for engines with dual-mass flywheel" quotes.

I've just found this webpage which although I can't understand (Spanish?), gives pretty decent photos and appears to be showing a DMF to SMF replacement.

That link to DMR clutch is very very cheap. The feedback is surprisingly good too, which can't be said for all resellers of these types of kit...

My intention is to replace all relevant parts while the gearbox is out, as it's such a big job.

Dan.

while flywheel is off replace the crank seal also (i had to replace clutch a second time soon after because of a oil leak)
while i am still mumbling about ifg you PM a vin or a uk reg i can confirm if you have default a dmf or not... but yes in that link that is dmf 100% and is making a conversion. not sure on the engine tho...
very nice how to he made there same steps are needed for astra g

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also wondering about the crank seal, as I guess that really ruins your day when that goes.

I've PM'd you my vehicle details, thanks for looking into it.

Dan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for confirming that N871BUD, at least I know I need to get a SMF conversion kit now.

If the kit from DMR Clutch is half decent, I might as well order one and relist the flywheel I bought.

Just hope the parts are not so cheap that they only last a few weeks....

Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for all your help.

Dan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds promising, it's always good to hear from people with experience.

I know you can get some roughness and increases in noise/vibration, but the Y20DTH is pretty tank like anyway and hopefully I'll handle the uptake of drive being less smooth, just as long as it's not slipping.

I don't drive it like it's stolen so hopefully it will do the job nicely.

Dan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts