Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Yawn.
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
great.
i had a little shunt lastnite.

Some dude randomly stopped in the middle of Bournemouth town lastnite (no brake lights, suspected purposeful stop on the handbrake...) and by the time i had realised, reacted and braked, i had hit him.

So it cracked my bumper, smashed the drivers side Headlight, bent the slam panel & the little trim under the lights and grille.

·
Yawn.
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so this morning, i have been straightening it out as much as i can

just needs a little more tidying up, but it cant be done on the quick so i need to remove the bumper and rad to be able to get to it all. a weekend job i thinks.

plus it has helped me to decide to get a GSi kit for definite.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Ooops a daisy.

If his bake lights werent working could it not make it his fault?

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,788 Posts
Don't think you'll have a leg to stand on with the brakelight thing personally.

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
But gis A bell when ya want the GSi kit,,, got all of it bar front bumper ;)

·
22,199 Posts
I nearly shunted mine y/day...twat in a Punto decides at the last minute to turn up a road...just braked in front of me...i swore, leaned on my horn and shouted ****** out of the window!

*LOL... w*nker in swear filter but twat isnt lol

·
Carepolice
826 Posts
Dan Gliballs said:
Don't think you'll have a leg to stand on with the brakelight thing personally.

^^ what he said. Driving into the back of someone will always be your fault unfortunatly :(

·
15,300 Posts
LSI said:
Ooops a daisy.

If his brake lights werent working could it not make it his fault?
Not a chance!
1)Its 99% automatic that if you hit someone from behind its YOUR fault even if they did an emergency stop. The arguement is that you should always leave enough of a gap to account for such posibilities.
2)He could say they were working and got broken when you hit him

·
Banned
8,538 Posts
Dest said:
Not a chance!
1)Its 99% automatic that if you hit someone from behind its YOUR fault even if they did an emergency stop. The arguement is that you should always leave enough of a gap to account for such posibilities.
Yep you can't win had a similar situation a few years someone slammed hard on the brakes for no reason on the A45 near billing, car in front just missed him and I slammed into the car in front, the bloke in front said it wasn't my fault but rather than make a song and dance about it I just said its my fault as it was I went into him, couldn't do anything about car distance as it was rush hour traffic, it was alright for him he could drive home with a dented bumper where my car was stuck in the fast lane radiator snapped and the bonnet bent, new cars damaged to easily :shake

·
Rascal
12,179 Posts
Dest said:
Not a chance!
If they were on when he was hit and the lights have cracked, they can test whether they are or not as there will be some oxidization on the filament. If however the lights were not on when he was hit, the bulb will be cracked but the filament will still be intact, or there won't be any oxidization on them. Not that I can see them going to THAT much trouble for a shunt like this, but they could do

·
Yawn.
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and luckily a witness says he saw it as if the other car stopped intentionally with no brake lights,

and he works in a local vauxhall breakers... said to give him a call if i need anything for mine. got GSi kits, wings etc. so will prob go to him first.

Gave him a VXoN flyer while i was at it too...

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
Yeah , just get over it as best as you can . Bit of a bummer but car doesn't look too bad .
Will you lose any no claims etc ?

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
what did the other dood say when you got out to swap insurance details?

did he admit fault? if so, get over to his and get him to put it in writing, and get it witnessed too.

·
Yawn.
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nah he didnt admit fault or anything. just got my details, gave me his name, number and registration and went.

ive managed to get mine back into shape pretty well. makes it look a lot less damaged than it did. which could be handy...

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
djgritt said:
nah he didnt admit fault or anything. just got my details, gave me his name, number and registration and went.

ive managed to get mine back into shape pretty well. makes it look a lot less damaged than it did. which could be handy...

not really.

he can now come up with all and sundry wrong with his car, and its all your fault.

the problem is, as has been stated, you went into the back of him, ergo, you werent paying attention.

tiz a shame, there are some right arses on the road nowadays.

feel sorry for anyone learning now.

·
AKA Cavgsi4x4turbo
5,260 Posts
whoops dave! i think that new power took over really! i have a full set of facelift lights and grill etc and just need to give karl a shout about that bumper! i think i might have turbo skirts too!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts