Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know, should the auto gear lever on an MV6 be all shuddery (for want of a better word)? It seems that i can feel every pot hole or lump in the road through the lever and when i glance down, i can even see it moving.
Its not a major problem, after all i have both hands on the wheel at all times and never look at the gear lever! :) Just wondered if its anything to worry about and if anyone else gets it.

Thank you!

Yoxubarl

C

·
0 Posts
Indicates engine mounts being worn.
If you watch the engine with it running, and get someone to put it in drive, may see it all move. Could be tricky in an auto, never tried it.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think you'll find the gear stick in Omegas does transmit a few more vibrations than some other cars. The V6 engine and real wheel drive is likely to be a big factor.

My engine is very smooth - you could put a cup of tea on it and rev it to the red line without spilling anything - but there does seem to be an amplified vibration through the gear stick.

My previous car had the gearbox linked to the gear lever by cables so it was very smooth....

T

·
0 Posts
Since you posted that yesterday, I've noticed mine you can feel it move and can see it move when you go over bumps....moves more when the front wheels go over a bump....not so much when the back wheels do. Id be very surprised if any engine/gearbox mounts have worn on mine.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
If its excessive then its most likely to be the rear gearbox mounts.

Can't say I have ever known the engine mounts go......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the responses.
I noticed that mine is mainly from the front wheels too and its good to know that it might not be a problem. If its engine/gearbox mounts, though, i suspect those aren't really DIY jobs without something along the lines of lifting the engine/gearbox out?

Yoxubarl

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
You will get some movement over bumps and hard cornering / braking / acceleration because the engine is on rubber mounts.

It the movement is due to engine vibration e.g. at specific revs that may be something else (e.g. a misfire, bad cam timing).

Engine and gearbox mounts are a DIY job. Basically you put a large solid plank of wood under the sump and take the weight of the engine. Undo the mount bolts and carefully jack until you can wiggle the mounts out.

The front mounts have one bolt at the top and one at the bottom. They cost about 40 each from Autovaux. It's a bit of a squeeze getting the old out and the new in. You need to be carefully jacking too much because of all the wiring and pipes that are attached to the engine. You also want to be gentle on the sump - bend it and it will leak.

On mine there was a bolt on the top of the engine that hit the wiper linkage and prevented me getting the last 1cm I needed. I just removed the bolt and that did the job (sounds easy, and it is once I'd realised that was the problem!).

I replaced the front mounts because one appeared cracked. Once off they had drooped a bit and looked a bit tired but I think they were actually OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts