Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bog standard Cavalier 1.8 LSi. I love my car, she's pleasant to drive, reliable and in good condition. The thing is I can't decide whether to sell it and and get a 2 litre cav, or just stick with what I've got.

The reasons to keep her include:
1. I know she's in good condition.
2. She's cheap to run
3. She's quite nippy
4. She's reliable
5. When our lass passes her test I'll have to let her drive sometimes:grrr

The reasons to sell her and get a 2 litre one include:
1 The extra power would be nice.
2 Making a better foundation for doing up (I want to put alloys on, leather seats etc).

There is of course the option of buying an old mot failure and transplanting the engine, but that seems a bit drastic to me. On that note, will a 2 litre calibra engine drop straight in the 1.8 cav's engine bay?

Is there anything I can do (other than de-cat) to get a bit more power out of her without spending a fortune?

Opinins appeciated.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Why not keep it in the family if you know its such a good car. As you say, when your lass passes her test, let her drive it. In other words sell her the car :lmao: No, give her the car, and you spoil yourself of a 2.0 ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DrMega said:
(I want to put alloys on, leather seats etc).
Why not get one with a bigger engine, and these fitted?
Treat yourself to a V6 or something.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
While is driving the best keep it, just drive er till she quits, only way to really get your moneys worth out of a motor!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Izuzu_Man said:
While is driving the best keep it, just drive er till she quits, only way to really get your moneys worth out of a motor!!
Great, I've got to keep mine until I'm so old I have to give up driving :turd

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi

If I were you, I would keep it. I purchased an Omega with a view to replacing my trusty Cav - a 2 litre CDX. When it came to it, the Omega was too heavy on fuel although everything elase about it was lovely - espeically the ride quality.

However, I just missed the Cavalier too much - I have had it for 9 years and in that time covered 80K (it is now showing 127K) so you could say I am somewhat attached to it.

I have learnt that if something is running well amd not costing you anything (apart from normal servicing and looking after costs) why change?

To sum up, keep it!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
If you lik it so much then why change? As above, keep it :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
is it the 8v or 16v? i av got an 1.8i 8v and a 2.0i 8v cavi n i must admit there is a noticable difference in the power of the 2, but then a 1.8i 16v cavi wld fly passed my 2.0i so if urs is just the 8v then get another 1.8i but the 16v version, wont b soo heavy on fuel as the 2.0i but will give u power, just an idea

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
i've had mostly 2.0 cavs but when i had my 1.8spi I was quite impressed by the car,Not the preformance obviously as its way off the 2.0i but as an everyday car you can't beat the old 8v on reliability.Got to say I 'd have another one if a tidy one came along.

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
paradisiac said:
is it the 8v or 16v? i av got an 1.8i 8v and a 2.0i 8v cavi n i must admit there is a noticable difference in the power of the 2, but then a 1.8i 16v cavi wld fly passed my 2.0i so if urs is just the 8v then get another 1.8i but the 16v version, wont b soo heavy on fuel as the 2.0i but will give u power, just an idea
No such thing as a 1.8 16v cav mate :up:

id do as micky said mate keep the car in the family,if ur 2.0 turns out to be unreliable u can have ur trusty 1.8 back :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the opinions. I've decided that my cav is nippy enough for me, and besides, I'll be teaching our lass to drive it soon, so its best to keep it for now and then get a new one when she has knackered the clutch and gear box:lmao:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts