Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My car (Omega 3.0 V6 Elite) is due for a service and a cam belt change.
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good place in Birmingham to get it done??

Are Vauxhall main dealers best? or do they over charge??

Need to find a place quickly though as I am slightly worried after reading on these forums about cam belts failures...
My cars first Cambelt change was done at 80k(?!) and the current belt is on 60k(!?x2) and on, if not over, 4 years worth of service....

Help!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
hell man, you are one of the lucky ones...

Cant help with the dealers but would get it changed dead quick, Vx only recommend 4years or 40k!

If the components fail then its just about game over... :cry:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Dunno when they changed it (someone will post up soon), it was 80k they changed it from....

I have also heard that there are 2 types of tensioner... one is good for 80k?

Anyone help?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Vx changed the tensioners and set the spec at 80k but they got their sums wrong. Tensioners started failing so they backed down to 40k again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i'm still buggered :)

What kind of price am I looking at for a service and cambelt and tensioner change??

·
Registered
206 Posts
They changed it to 40k about 3 years ago shortly after I bought an Omega through Network Q having been told not necessary to change until 80k (prior to purchase). Several weeks later Vauxhall reduced it to 40k so I had to pay to get it done :grrr . How they ever thought they could have an 80k interval without getting failures god only knows, but they obviously had ambitions for lots of Omega fleet sales and by pushing the belt change beyound the ownership period of the typical fleet/lease owner it made the total cost of ownership look far more attractive.
At a Vauxhall dealership here in the South East/London expect to pay about £350 - £400 for belt change tensioner/rollers etc.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Depends on what type of service, Vx quoted me £260 for £120k service, this included plugs and they quoted £360 for cambelt & tensioners which is really quite a good price!

RonaldMcBurger has produced a how2 for the cambelt, it will cost about £110 in parts and some of your time...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not too mechanically minded unfortunitly, so i would prefer someone else to do it :)
I'll give my local Lookers a ring and see what they say.

For reference my car has done 140k but was well looked after by an AA rep.
I would like the fluids and filters replaced, fan belt tightening, cam belt replacement and plugs changed.
What does a full service actually get you??

Sorry to sound a bit dim but this is my first service for a car. I'm only 22 and my previous car (granada) was too old to bother with, I changed the oil etc my self.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hope your enjoying your big Vauxhall the insurance at 22 years old must be pretty painful. YOU MUST GET YOUR CAMBELT CHANGED ASAP if it fails you can throw your car in the dustbin. Repairs for failure come in at about 3k making it a completely uneconomic option unless you are able to do the work yourself. Just see the recent thread about the poor chap who had his car a week before the belt failed. From my experience Vauxhall service departments range from average to truely woreful, the majority being in the latter catagory. The smaller rural ones are much better then the inner city big ones, there are however very few small ones left as Vauxhall only want big and have made it impossible for the small garage to survive. I would try to find a small independant that you can trust from recommendation of friends etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont like small cars. I feel like i'm going to die in them, plus i like to be able to get to 60mph in under 20 secs :lmao: and also i'm the taxi for my friends so its nice to be able to travel in comfort with 4 in the car.
Therefore I pay the insurance... although for some reason i have had more expensive quotes for 12 year old fiesta diesel :mmmm

I'll ask around tonight about garages and get it booked in tomorrow.

Back to the first question then; Does anyone in the B'ham area know of any good garages??

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Hi mate, not stupid at all!

Seriously, if that belt goes your car is potentially scrap so get it changed mate...

Oh and dont forget to post back up with your result!

Welcome matey, you will love this place!

·
Registered
367 Posts
markrl said:
They changed it to 40k about 3 years ago shortly after I bought an Omega through Network Q having been told not necessary to change until 80k (prior to purchase). Several weeks later Vauxhall reduced it to 40k so I had to pay to get it done :grrr . How they ever thought they could have an 80k interval without getting failures god only knows, but they obviously had ambitions for lots of Omega fleet sales and by pushing the belt change beyound the ownership period of the typical fleet/lease owner it made the total cost of ownership look far more attractive.
At a Vauxhall dealership here in the South East/London expect to pay about £350 - £400 for belt change tensioner/rollers etc.
What I find amuzeing is that Pontiac ( GM) in the states, as the Omega is called a Pontiac Catera over there had a reccomended cambelt change at 100,000 miles, they then bottled it and reduced it to 60,000 miles, as its the same car why do the Yanks get 60,000 miles and we poor brits get 40,000 I've also heard there warranty puts ours to shame 7 bloody years we only got 3 :grrr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

My local Vx prices:
Cambelt = 360
Full Service = 240
Intermediate = 150

Local Garage reccommended by Auto Addict:
Cambelt = 220ish (depending on price of cam kit)
Full service = 120 (plugs, oil, filters etc)

hmmm... tough choice :lmao:

Earliest they can get me in for is Mid Next week though... borrowed time :mmmm I preferred it when I thought the cambelt was good for 70k, haha

Thanks for the Info Auto Addict :Cool2:

Oil Question:
What oil do the 3LV6 omegas take?

Vx reccommend 5w30 (fully synthetic?) which costs a bomb. Speaking to the above garage, their data base said its 10-40 semi synthetic for a moderate climate, 5-30 for cold and something else (cant remember) for hot.

L

·
0 Posts
Let this be the only post in this thread on oil please! ;)

You can go with 10w/40 semi synthetic in the elite. Absolutely fine.
I would recommend 5w/30 fully synthetic, but there is a significant price difference!

Just remember, every 5k/6months new oil/filter and sump washer.

If you happen to be up around Derby, let me know and I will get you 4x5 litres of Vx semi synth for around £18 and filters for around £1 each (trade club :D).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts