Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has experience of removing/replacing one of these?
Mine's FUBAR'd!

ps. Only 14 days until I leave for the start of Staples to Naples - go on, send us a quid - see below!

·
Registered
228 Posts
remove oil filter and look at the base where it sits you will see a brass nut undo it and the thermostat will come out just make sure you put it back the same way, or alternatively you can run without it ,it will cause no problems unless you do lots of short runs, and ensures that oil is circulating through thr cooler all the time
Omegatoy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may have a similar problem, and am using my car for the same purpose.. is this remedy easy? is this nut directly under where the filter screws on?

the cooler isn't working and I've noticed after a drive the car smokes, which if it's getting to hot would make sense, oil thins, seeps into the cylinders and burns?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Check your viscous fan is working before you go....ours wasnt and when I ragged it up the mountain in Annecy it over heated.......it didn't show up around the UK at all...

In fact it might be better to simply lock the dam thing up!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark - how can I lock the fan?

Rusty - there seems to be two types of oil thermostat. One is held in by a nut located in the same housing that has the oil filter housing. Second one is in the same place but is a alloy cap held in by a circlip. I have the latter and the metal cap has corroded on, so after banging 7 shades of h3ll out of it I decided to forego the luxary of an oil cooler.

If the oil heats the oil will thin also the water will take on some of the heat so the temp of the engine will go up.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Its a case of remove the viscous coupling and bung a screw into it to lock it up.........

We were lucky as ours had non-working aircon so there was a also an electric fan which we could hard wire to the battery.....in fact one option would be to mount an Omega (or similar) electric fan in front of the rad which you can turn on and off.

Also, use the gears on the down side of the passes and brake hard and short.....you dont want to cook the brakes and boil the wheel bearing grease as happened to a few on Chezk wrecks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts