Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , does anyone have any idea of the weight of a 24v senny engine ?
just perusing my options here !!!

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
I'd guess at 200kg+

the V6 is 176kg and that's got alloy heads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks to you all for the weight info, looks like a rover v8 4.0 litre is about the same , so, much as i love the straight six, i think i'll try a v8 in the carlton ( back in about 5 years when its done !!!)

L

·
0 Posts
I would use the C30se (24v Senator/Carlton Gsi engine) personally.

Drops straight in and is a LOT more reliable than the Rover V8 (ok the V8 sounds wonderful! ;))

I await the opinion of the boss on this...

·
Registered
47 Posts
V8 in Carlton, that sounds great, let me show you something...

I have just swapped a C30SE to my omega B succesfully but recently while going through auctions I realised that BMW 5.0 engines are quite cheap and compact... certainly designed to be fit in our cars;)

now I would go in for BMW motor only.... the cost and effort is much the same...

L

·
0 Posts
Oooohh!!:wub:
Now that is a conversion!! :cool:

Looking more closely and thought, how the heck do you reach the DIS pack??? :lmao:

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
The straight six is much more than the V6 got to be 200Kg plus, it takes two people to handle the head confortably on its own!

Rover V8 is light and reliable, needs regular oil changes and performance units can be found in smashed up TVR's

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Wonder if a Northstar V8 could be made to fit? failing that I'll just buy an post 93 STS or 1993 Allante :)

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
the 5.0 V12 BMW lump fits the Carlton, someone has done an Estate, but that Vette engine does look nice.

Much better than that Pushrod 16V LS1/2 in the Monaro.

Got a Classic car mag at work, with a survey of Cheap V8s.

the BMW lump was the lightest at 146kg.

The Audi lump was the shortest, if you need the weight further back.

·
www.morderstein.com
1,552 Posts
Rover V8 (high compression) is very underpowered by today's standards - about 160 brake IIRC, 3litre 12V is 177 bhp and 24V 204bhp.

That gorgeous V8 ain't a Lotus engine,it's a Corvette jobbie. Lotus Carlton/Omega is straight six twin turbo with 377 bhp. The gear box might be the same as an LC/LO, cos the Elsie/Ello has a Corvette box.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
No, high compression Vitesse Rover V8 was a little over 190Bhp.

The TVR power units come in at over 300Bhp.....with a huge amount of torque.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Senny 6 engine heavy,300+kg with ancillaries. Rover V8 much lighter Small block Chevvy got to be best, much better lump than BMW,Vast after market tuning accessories and cheaper spares.Jerry

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pedropirate said:
That gorgeous V8 ain't a Lotus engine,it's a Corvette jobbie.
Actually MartinImber is quite right. The 32V DOHC Corvette engine (LT5) was indeed developped by Lotus for the previous generation Corvette ZR-1. Quite a radical departure from the usual pushrod small-blocks. Lovely though it undoubtedly is, it was so complex and expensive that it was soon ditched. The current generation Corvette is back to the old 2-valve pushrod design - in lovely aluminium LS1 guise of course. Producing as much power as the LT5 easily and much cheaper too. In short if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Liam

·
Registered
434 Posts
[geek] Lotus were originally approached to design 32V aluminium DOHC heads for the existing iron small-block chevy, but on looking at GMs requirements proposed a totally new engine, which was approved by GM. The all-ally LT5 shares only the bore centre spacing of the small-block in a bit of a marketing gimick - it's essentially a clean-sheet design all done by Lotus (rumoured to be based on a 4 litre lotus V8 that never saw production) with minor design input from GM engineers. Interestingly, GM bought Lotus during the LT5 development program, so technically it did in fact become a GM in-house project![/geek]

Liam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts