Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
22,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i know this question must have been asked a thousand times...

Is it easy enough to sell stuff on eBay?, im a bit cautious incase i end up mixing stuff up, charging too much for postage, getting robbed by ebay or something else that ends up with me getting negative feedback, plus i dont want to set-up a PayPal account as ive heard LOTS of bad stories about PayPal being hacked etc, and most people on there prefer PayPal.

Ive been buying off there for a few years with only ever 2 problems...it just looks alot to do to start selling stuff.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. :)

·
15,300 Posts
Nothing wrong with paypal, just have your wits about you and dont fall for daft emails asking for your inside leg measurement :lmao:

Selling is easy, just be honest!!
If you arent sure about postage, get the item weighed before you list it

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,788 Posts
I'm a very cautious chap too Paul in this respect, but I've only ever had one problem selling (where I lost a tenner or so).

I've always bought and sold with cheques too BTW,..................no Paypal for me ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
It`s not as bad or scary as it looks,, like said, have ya witts about ya and you`ll be fine. Never answer ebay emails from you email client, always go through My Messagers..There`s loads of them going around just latley..Ebay nor PayPal will EVERY ask for passwords or things that can get ito your Acc.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I've sold more than I've bought and had very few problems, just make sure you describe items you're selling as honestly as you can and include a photo. Personally I prefer Paypal because it's very difficult for me to get to the bank to pay cheques in, never had any problems with that at all.

·
28,788 Posts
Andy R said:
id trust paypal over chq's tbh,
I've sold a couple of hundred items to cheque payers in the last two years,.........................with not ONE single problem ;)

·
28,788 Posts
NewCavOwner said:
I`d trust bank-transfer`s over chq`s though as there`s the same info on chq, and there`s no whating around for chq`s to clear or bounce lol
Yeah, transfers are even better for me.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Dan Gliballs said:
I've sold a couple of hundred items to cheque payers in the last two years,.........................with not ONE single problem ;)
i know, they are pretty good,

but working with them i know how often people get swindled,

i could get alot of free stuff using cheques if i wasnt as honest as i am ;)

·
Meep-Meep
2,224 Posts
you could always try nochex as an alternative to Paypal.

E-Bay will always screw you over, one way or another, it's just how much you let them !

My top tips (660+ feedback and still rising!)

Listing fees - It costs X ammount to list an item for sale. THe higher the start price the more it cost to list. I usually list on 1p or 5p listing days, or have my starting price as 1p or 99p. The danger is , that if there is little interest said item, it could sell for a pittance.

Reserves - It costs to add a "Reserve" price to an auction. If you don't think it will sell, best remove the item with with 24hrs left to go, using the "End Auction Early Form"
The alternative is to have a mate win the item, though technically the item sold and will be subject to "Final Price Fees"

Extras - Don't use any of the fancy auction tools..eg Picture packs, or the special Gallery views, they all cost!!

Pics - Take advantage of the 1 free pic, and the free galllery pic, but use Imageshack or Photobucket and insert pics into your auctions as you would on here.

Final Price Fee - A % of the final figure goes to E-Bay

As for postage , remember tofactor in buying materials, such as Jiffy bags.
You can use the Royal Mail website to calculate the rough cost HERE

Don't forget, Paypal will take a chunk of the total money recieved , including P+P costs. I think it is 3% of the total +20p (Win/Win for them)

There are also some settings in your account that allow you to tailor who can bid, ie UK only, paypal only, +ve FB greater than XYZ HERE

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tips

Cheers Spookylee some good tips there. I've copied them to a word document for future reference.

I've sold one thing on ebay and there does seem to be 30p here, 20p there etc etc that comes off the deal.

Thanks for sparing the time. :Cool2:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
johngill100 said:
I've sold one thing on ebay and there does seem to be 30p here, 20p there etc etc that comes off the deal.
and in my case ebay kept taking the odd 20p 60p or even £1.10 off my credit card i had on file with them for about 3 months after i sold anything,
must have paid them about £10 in the end for something that sold for about £30,

had to delete the card number of my account and they stopped andhave never asked for for another penny,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts