Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for all essential purposes the secondary air pump is not connected but still wired in and working at pumping air into air (tubular manifolds no way of connecting). I have opcom, is there way of disabling it?

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,269 Posts
Just pull the power cable. It's pretty easy and solves all of the issues.
No fault codes as it's not a feedback system on the pump itself.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it forces air down the manifolds to trick the lambda sensors to add more fuel like a choke. The trouble is (from experience) when the ECU cannot use it it just chucks fuel in like a twat and when it malfunctions/ doesn't work it still throws up error codes and outs the light on. The wiring between the crankshaft position sensor and the secondary air injection are linked and (had damaged wiring loom) secondary air injection wiring plug was removed/cut out and it the error it threw up was crank sensor and it over fuelled massively so much so when the engine was stripped before it was rebuilt the pistons and bores were washed. So I'm reluctant to just cut a wire, I'll see what they can do when I get it back on the dyno

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I didn't jump in earlier because I do not know the answers to all the points you raise. However on a an earlier Omega that I owned the air pump seized, its protective relay then started flashing on and off this meant that the rest of the electrics were also flashing on and off particularly noticeable with the lights on. This only happened during the first minute or so after start up and then cleared as the pump thought it had done its job and switched off. Because of that characteristic luckily I guessed fairly quickly what the problem was and unplugged the air pump. I had no further problems as far as I know for the next 6 or 7 years that I owned the vehicle certainly no error or engine management lights. That Omega returned about 30mpg so I don't think it over fuelled but don't really know. Later the valve that prevents hot exhaust gas from going back into the air pump was leaking a bit so I removed the exhaust manifold and blocked the air entry holes at the manifold. I never had any emission problems at MOT time so never bothered to replace the faulty air pump just left it unplugged. Hope this helps.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30mpg!! Wow I manage that on a long run but running around I'm lucky to get 26mpg lol I really need to get it mapped. I think all the engine mods just need syncing up if you know what I mean. Really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi, Dont beat yourself up, this was the 2ltr 4 pot petrol and most of my driving was longish runs. At present I have the 2.2Ltr 4Pot Petrol, my runs are now much shorter but I only get about 27mpg. but have quite a lot more torque and rarely need to use the sport button. The 6pot was the smoothest but it was a bit thirsty more like 24 MPG, but all these Omegas are good and very underrated, just enjoy.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only ever had v6's I've rebuilt this, got ported heads and tubular manifolds, sports cats and custom exhaust. Sounds amazing. If I try really hard (go really slow lol) I can average about 27 running around best on a run is 30 but some silly speeds were involved for a time lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes had a V6 for many years great car. My understanding was the extra air got the catalyst hotter quicker and helped extend its life by keeping it cleaner. If this is the case it might be worth using the catalyst/ injector cleaner additive now and again if your air pump is not actually pumping air into system. While I don't believe most additive claims this one does seem to be proven at MOT time. Further if air is not being admitted into exhaust system I don't see which sensor would know you had unplugged the air pump. The lambda sensor might be unhappy already but would not know you have unplugged. Also suggest if you proceed you only unplug compressor not cut wires which on my 4 pot left the electric valve (between manifold and pump) working ie shut most of the time. I cant recall if that device was monitored.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got tubular manifolds so the system is not plumbed in at all. I have a pair of sports cats on a custom exhaust so I think they are ok lol needs mapping I reckon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts