Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I replaced the HBV this morning on my 2.6 Omega, was'nt too bad of a job but I lost a lot of skin off my hands as there isn't a great deal of room to work in there.
It may have been easier if the scuttle panel at the bottom of the screen had been moved but I just couldn't see how the thing came off. I pulled and tugged but something seemed to be holding it fast. I removed the wipers and the one torx screw on the left but could not see anything else holding it.

Are there screws hiding somewhere? I did the Crank Sensor last week, it would have made that job easier too. Might come in handy for future reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It must be the time for HBV replacements as mine went on Friday. To remove the scuttle panel there a number of quarter release fasteners under the windscreen rubber which need to be released with a flat bladed screw driver before attempting to remove the scuttle panel.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
I need to replace my crank sensor and I also have a water leak which I suspect could be the HBV...are there any pics on the forum to give me half a clue on how to remove the scuttle etc?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I need to replace my crank sensor and I also have a water leak which I suspect could be the HBV...are there any pics on the forum to give me half a clue on how to remove the scuttle etc?
No pics I'm afraid but I have just done mine.

I'm assuming V6 (although 4 pot is similar - when I did my 2L one I got access from underneath). If you surf around you will find opinions from
- did it in 10 minutes blindfold and with one arm tied around my back....
- its a pain in the .. you need to remove xyz and its still a b%^stard.

Basically the issue is access. It sits on the back of the engine block under the scuttle almost direct in line with the wiper spindle. It probably is possible with out removing scuttle or plenum. But a lot easier if you remove one or both of these. There are also a number of fragile vacuum connections around there which it would be easy to snap. I removed both in the end.

Scuttle removal (covered in Haynes)
- remove wipers (may come off with waggling, but easier with the proper tool)
- remove 7? quarter turn plastic screws that are hidden under the bottom windscreen rubber.
- remove one screw at the drivers end
- remove scuttle (I think there are some clips underneath and one of the hoses needs unclipping too - should be obvious)

Plenum removal
- pretty sure there is a thorough guide on here
- if you do this, well worth cleaning breathers at the same time. (plus any other jobs like cam cover seals, spark plugs etc)

HBV removal (BTW I have yet to find mention of this in Haynes)
- remove vacuum hose from top
- unclip hose clips
- apply elastoplasts and put cash in swear box
note the HBV slides onto a bracket on the rear of the block - slide it off and you can get better access to the clips on either side. Mark the hoses so you know where to put them back.

Not comprehensive I know - but hope this helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No pics I'm afraid but I have just done mine.

I'm assuming V6 (although 4 pot is similar - when I did my 2L one I got access from underneath). If you surf around you will find opinions from
- did it in 10 minutes blindfold and with one arm tied around my back....
- its a pain in the .. you need to remove xyz and its still a b%^stard.

Basically the issue is access. It sits on the back of the engine block under the scuttle almost direct in line with the wiper spindle. It probably is possible with out removing scuttle or plenum. But a lot easier if you remove one or both of these. There are also a number of fragile vacuum connections around there which it would be easy to snap. I removed both in the end.

Scuttle removal (covered in Haynes)
- remove wipers (may come off with waggling, but easier with the proper tool)
- remove 7? quarter turn plastic screws that are hidden under the bottom windscreen rubber.
- remove one screw at the drivers end
- remove scuttle (I think there are some clips underneath and one of the hoses needs unclipping too - should be obvious)

Plenum removal
- pretty sure there is a thorough guide on here
- if you do this, well worth cleaning breathers at the same time. (plus any other jobs like cam cover seals, spark plugs etc)

HBV removal (BTW I have yet to find mention of this in Haynes)
- remove vacuum hose from top
- unclip hose clips
- apply elastoplasts and put cash in swear box
note the HBV slides onto a bracket on the rear of the block - slide it off and you can get better access to the clips on either side. Mark the hoses so you know where to put them back.

Not comprehensive I know - but hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts