Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 2003 vectra 3.2 auto. The washers do not work although the pump makes a noise as though it is working. The washer jets are not blocked. I managed to blow through them by removing the pipe from under the bulkhead cover.

I have read the posts suggesting it is a blocked filter, which sounds about right.

My problem is I cannot find the pump assembly ! to remove it and clean the filter. It is hard to see much under the wheel arch as I do not have a pit/ramp. Any instructions on how to find and remove/refit the pump and any diagrams/pictures etc would be most welcome.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I think you'll find the pump is on the reservoir itself.

I believe the N/S front wheel arch liner has to be removed for access to the reservoir.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep - if its the same as the 99 vectra its under the passenger wheel arch and there are nice little torx bolts to try and undo (which will be full of dirt and if meory is correct are not all the same size). I managed to get to mine without fully removing the bumper, but it was hard - i managed to pull the pump out of the fitting but only a trickle of water came out - I then then pulled the filter out (its a separate plastic bit with a mesh on the end). However a few weeks later the same problem happened - i assume that the washer gunk sits in the bottom. Rather than repeat the process ....

I got a boiling kettle, some kitchen degreaser, a length of plastic tubing and my air compressor......
half fill the reservoir with the hot water and degreaser,
feed the tubing into the reservoir,
use the air compressor on the tube to stir up the gunk.
syphon out and repeat.
washers worked for a year but now need doing again - but easier than taking the bumber etc off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem Solved

With your advice I undid the wheel arch torx bolts - which were the same size on my 2003 car and managed to get to the pump. I removed the pump and nothing came out !
I then struggled and removed the filter/seal and then got soaked as the tank of hot water (I had filled it with hot water as a last attempt to clear the system) spurted out.
I managed to clean the filter with the spurting hot water, put it all back together and the washers now work fine.

The stuff floating around and blocking the filter looked like pale grey cotton or very fine string !

I hope this does not turn into a regular event.

Anyway thanks all round as I have a working car without a visit to the dealer.

I can recommend the Salisbury Vauxhall dealer as in my experience they are helpful and actually fix the car. This is not minor praise asthis cannot be said about all main dealers. Needless to say I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts